SOP long-term career goal

I am having troubles in writing long-term career goals in SOP. I want to apply M.S and get funding, because i like doing research and i do believe that i have such background. But in the other end, i am not sure about what i am going to do in the future, i may go for a Phd or I may just go to work. It does not sound like true if i only mentions i like doing research and i have a strong possibility of Phd ...?? because i could not convince myself and moreever, i just want to do what i like in research and have some fun, and with funding. If i mention both possibility ( phd or industry) in my SOP, will that sound too uncertain about my purpose of study, thus recuding the chance of get admission ?

Firstly, you need to be honest about what you want to do after your degree. If you're not sure, don't say I want to be a professor, etc, just to put it on your SOP. Secondly, most (hopefully all) admissions committees realize that a lot of people change their long term goals in some way after years of study, so they won't expect you to set out exactly what you're going to be doing with the rest of your life. What you do need yo be able to do is to convince them that you have goals and that you are motivated to accomplish your goals. You should stress your love for research and explain as best as you can, that your love for research may lead you to industry or to academia.

I'll just be reiterating what newms said above but - what you write is not set in stone and no one will be upset if you change your mind. In fact, if you go through grad school without ever changing any of your interests or goals (refining them, changing methodology, using the same methodology to explore a new area, etc) that will be surprising and (I think) quite disappointing. You're continuing your education to both broaden and deepen your knowledge, so it makes perfect sense that you will make some fine tuning and have a better understanding of your interests once you've started the grad school process. If you're not decided on what you want to do after school I think it's a reasonable strategy to say so and then go on to explain in your SOP how the school you've chosen fits you in terms of giving you the kind of guidance and mentorship that you'll need in order to decide, and how it can train you to both continue studying X in academia and getting a position in industry in field Y.

Firstly, you need to be honest about what you want to do after your degree. If you're not sure, don't say I want to be a professor, etc, just to put it on your SOP. Secondly, most (hopefully all) admissions committees realize that a lot of people change their long term goals in some way after years of study, so they won't expect you to set out exactly what you're going to be doing with the rest of your life. What you do need yo be able to do is to convince them that you have goals and that you are motivated to accomplish your goals. You should stress your love for research and explain as best as you can, that your love for research may lead you to industry or to academia.

I agree mentioning both possibility of in the SOP while stating a strong passion towards research. I think i am going to start from there.

I'll just be reiterating what newms said above but - what you write is not set in stone and no one will be upset if you change your mind. In fact, if you go through grad school without ever changing any of your interests or goals (refining them, changing methodology, using the same methodology to explore a new area, etc) that will be surprising and (I think) quite disappointing. You're continuing your education to both broaden and deepen your knowledge, so it makes perfect sense that you will make some fine tuning and have a better understanding of your interests once you've started the grad school process. If you're not decided on what you want to do after school I think it's a reasonable strategy to say so and then go on to explain in your SOP how the school you've chosen fits you in terms of giving you the kind of guidance and mentorship that you'll need in order to decide, and how it can train you to both continue studying X in academia and getting a position in industry in field Y.

I like ' it's a reasonable strategy to say so and then go on to explain in your SOP how the school you've chosen fits you in terms of giving you the kind of guidance and mentorship that you'll need in order to decide, and how it can train you to both continue studying X in academia and getting a position in industry in field Y.' I think this is very helpful and thoughful. I appreciate this. My language is lacklusker. I think i will start from there.