ETH-Zurich (Swiss Federal IT - Zurich)

deadcoder

Hello all,

Is there anyone who is going to apply ETH-Zurich? or have already applied to ETH-Zurich for Computer Science MSc program? I have been admitted in their MSc program (got email, last week). I already know about their program and ranking (5th in Europe if I'm not wrong). I want to know more info about them for choosing my final one. If you know something then please share it with me. Here are some notes that I found in the net

The ETH is regularly ranked among the top universities in the world. It is placed between 3rd and 6th in Europe and between 10th and 27th in the world in international rankings by the Academic Ranking of World Universities and the Times Higher Education Supplement World University Rankings. It was also ranked 12th by the latter in both sciences and technology in 2005.

ETH Zurich has produced and attracted many famous scientists in its short history. More than twenty Nobel laureates have either studied at ETH or were awarded the Nobel prize for their work achieved at ETH, including Albert Einstein.

thanks in advance.....

I've never been but my masters supervisor spent a year there on sabbatical and said it was an absolutely fantastic school. I considered it my top choice for a while until I rationalized that my SO couldn't work there (she's SLP). Zurich is by all accounts perhaps the most gorgeous city in the world, and the ETH is well funded (their stipends are enormous). ETH-Z is much higher ranked than the rest of the schools you applied to if I'm not mistaken as well.

I was there like a year ago and the city looks quite charming....

Although the university is stronger in physics and the like, the computer science department is not bad. I wouldnt mind going there for grad school....

You do have to realize that zurich is not a cheap a town. Any clerk will make at least CHF 3k (which turns out to be almost US 3k now hat the dollar is in free fall). If you come from less generous countries, the cost of life will certainly hit you.

Of course, as in most of the civilized world ;) , tuition is free... or almost, since you only have to pay certain paperwork fees... like 500 per semester...

Good luck

Hi canuck & freakedout,

thank you so much for your reply and sharing very interesting n encouraging information of ETH-Zurich. It really helps me a lot. I also applied for financial aid but still didn't get any news regarding financial aid. Though their tuition fee is very cheap but I'm still waiting for the financial support. And undoubtedly Zurich is one of the best city in the world :D. Thank you again. Please pray for me.