Directing MFA 2023

MolineM

On 2/13/2023 at 11:53 AM, MolineM said:

Finished my URTA interviews, and now waiting to hear back form Boston and UMass, has anyone else applied there and heard anything?

I believe Umass is interviewing people on campus. Well, have sent invites.

• 2 weeks later...

How's everyone holding up? 

I was a bit disappointed getting cut after the first round at Yale and then DePaul put their program "on hold" due to a budget shortfall! What a trip... 

I am still waiting to hear back after my interview at Iowa. Anyone have news? 

I have an offer from Central's ATP program in London and an interview with Birkbeck. Maybe I'm UK bound. 

Wishing y'all good luck! 

• 3 months later...

You all. Spread the word. The MFA in Directing at the University of Alabama is free, but that's what it's worth. You'll learn nothing and endure abuse from the corrupt head of the department and the useless head of directing. Tell everyone to avoid at all costs! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 9:46 AM, kalysias said:

You all. Spread the word. The MFA in Directing at the University of Alabama is free, but that's what it's worth. You'll learn nothing and endure abuse from the corrupt head of the department and the useless head of directing. Tell everyone to avoid at all costs! 

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! My program is free too but without the abuse. I thought I saw something about how great the head, Levy, is. I am sorry about how terrible it is going!

Annie Levy was great. But she only stayed three years and they replaced her with someone who isn't competent for the position and has no professional theatre experience. Also, some charming racism and sexism from him. Stay away! It's a pity. There are so few MFA Directing programs out there. 

3 hours ago, kalysias said:

Annie Levy was great. But she only stayed three years and they replaced her with someone who isn't competent for the position and has no professional theatre experience. Also, some charming racism and sexism from him. Stay away! It's a pity. There are so few MFA Directing programs out there. 

Oh, I see! So sorry to hear that the change wasn't for the best. Did you graduate from there or?

6 minutes ago, LittleViking131 said:

Oh, I see! So sorry to hear that the change wasn't for the best. Did you graduate from there or?

Left after the first year. I kept in touch with an MFA director coming in as I was leaving and according to her, the situation's gotten worse. But I finished up at UNCG and had a good experience there. But it looks like they're discontinuing the program. Are you having a good experience in your program? 

On 6/18/2023 at 12:47 PM, kalysias said:

Left after the first year. I kept in touch with an MFA director coming in as I was leaving and according to her, the situation's gotten worse. But I finished up at UNCG and had a good experience there. But it looks like they're discontinuing the program. Are you having a good experience in your program? 

Oh! Congrats! Discontinuing at UNCG or Alabama? I hope the incoming MFA is doing well at least.

And yes! Very much so. Lots of directing in various styles in various forms. Lots of teaching. Good funding (insurance, etc.) Academic rigorous (gotta get those publications!) Very pleased with my choice - I see why so many alum are working in a variety of places.

• 6 months later...

Hi all! 
If anyone in this forum is still on the hunt for an MFA program -- I am in my first year at Baylor University and highly recommend it. Incredible financial package and tons of support from faculty. I had interviews/offers from several programs and I am very happy with my decision. Please PM me if you want to chat about it! Deadline to apply is beginning of February I believe :)