Directing MFA 2023

MolineM

• 1 month later...

Hey hey!

I just found this site and thought I'd join the convo. I applied to Yale, UCSD, Northwestern, and CMU. So far so good, hoping to hear from everyone for first round interviews over the holiday.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

The great wait begins... Anybody else's stomach turning?

I applied to Yale, UCSD, University of Iowa, DePaul, and a few UK schools.

So far I have an interview at Yale. Looking at past years on the forum, I believe DePaul and maybe UCSD should be notifying folks this upcoming week. 

Hope everyone is getting good news! 

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster... Wonder if we can get this conversation going like the threads from the past couple years!

I applied to Yale, CMU, UCSD, DePaul, Northwestern, and UT at Austin. I've heard from Yale and DePaul so far about interviews.

Like @adisplaynamesaid, looks like UCSD sends out invitations during this week (although, I'm curious if the app deadline has always been in early January? it seems like such a quick turnaround time, I wondering if the deadline has been earlier in the past... anyone know?) and I think Northwestern's go out in the next week or so too.

@ArthurThriller Welcome! I hope we'll see some more action on the thread too. 

Congrats on Yale and DePaul! I'm interviewing at both as well. 

It does seem like a quick turn around for UCSD. I'm not sure if their deadline has always been in Jan. Perhaps they'll take a bit longer.

If anyone hears from them or Iowa I am interested to know. Waiting is a killer. 

Interesting... What I saw was 8 slots on Feb 18 in person, 3 slots on Feb 11 that are virtual. (The email I got said that interviews are in person, unless you can't make it, in which case contact them. But it was phrased like they're expecting most in person.) By the time I saw the email the majority of in-person slots were filled and I snagged one of the remaining ones. The 3 virtual slots were all empty - and now I see one is filled. I interpreted all that to mean that there are 8 finalists and they made 3 just-in-case slots for people who won't be traveling... But maybe that's totally off-base! 

@ArthurThriller Thanks, that's very helpful to know. Perhaps I mistakenly gave them the impression I wasn't willingly to travel. I am very far away, but I would walk to Chicago if I had to. I guess I better clarify I'm willing to travel if that's an option. 

EDIT: Looks like they scheduled some in-person and some online. I'll try not to assume that means I'm 2nd string, but even if that's true, I'm glad to be in the mix. Good luck on your audition! I'll be interested to hear how it goes. 

Edited by adisplayname

Hey everyone! Glad to see this has picked up in more recent weeks. Had my CMU interview this morning and prepping for Yale and UCSD in the next week. Still haven't heard anything from Northwestern but I'll keep y'all updated if I do!

Hello friends and colleagues: I finally decided to bite the bullet and make an account. Had CMU and Yale interviews last Monday (the 16th), and have received word from CMU that I’m a finalist for their program, and will be joining the intensive final round on Saturday, Feb 18th — though no formal details about the day have been shared as of yet, other than it being on Zoom from 9am to 5pm. 

Good luck to all! Hopefully, we’ll all hear from Yale in the next two weeks — and even better, that some of us will be classmates within the next year :) 

@Cmrich Congrats on the interviews! I just had my Yale interview this past week. Liz and Lileana were super nice. Not sure if you're interviewing with them, but I'd say expect a positive experience. 

@Touchstone383 Congrats on being a finalist at CMU! That sounds like a long zoom day. I'll be interested to hear about it. Amen to your sentiments about Yale. 

@MolineM How were URTAs? I bet you'll hear something this week since it's two weeks out, right? At least, that's what i'm hoping since I'm waiting on Iowa, which does URTAs. 

@ArthurThriller Turns out I'll be in person in Chicago after all. Maybe we'll cross paths on the day of. 

@adisplayname I interviewed with Yura and Lileana! They were both so nice and the hour flew by. Now to just wait the two weeks.

@Touchstone383 Congrats on the final callback for CMU, I'll see you on that zoom! The schedule rolled in today right before my UCSD interview and I immediately started trying to plan out all of those assignments lol

Hello to you all! Just found out about this page! 

Columbia's directing auditions are coming in mid Feb. Anyone invited to the auditions? 

If you have a previous year's experience or heard anything about Columbia's audition for directors, could you give me any tips? 

I was informed to wear comfortable clothing for auditions, which is making me quite nervous. Every information would be a great help! 

Also applied to UCSD, but haven't heard anything back. Maybe no from UCSD. quite a bummer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - been a minute! 

Jumping in for a quick update. I heard back from UCSD and I am a finalist there. 

Also got a no from Northwestern. 

For those of you doing URTAs -- Did you get your URTA interview schedule? Mine came in yesterday! I got an interview with Iowa which I am most excited about. I am interviewing with a few other programs I don't know much about. 

Edited by danflashes427
tag did not work

11 hours ago, danflashes427 said:

Hi all - been a minute! 

Jumping in for a quick update. I heard back from UCSD and I am a finalist there. 

Also got a no from Northwestern. 

For those of you doing URTAs -- Did you get your URTA interview schedule? Mine came in yesterday! I got an interview with Iowa which I am most excited about. I am interviewing with a few other programs I don't know much about. 

Congrats! We are similar. What other programs?

Hey everyone, I got an offer from the New School. Does anybody know about this program or currently be in this program? Does it worth it? And I also got interview offers from Sarah Lawrence College and Illinois State University. I want to know what questions will be asked. Thank you so much. I'm an international student and not from an academic theatre background. This is my first-year application and I have been rejected by Northwestern, UCLA, Columbia, and UCSD. It's quite hard?

@jinnng Here are some question you may need to be prepared for.

1. Why are you pursuing graduate school at this point in your career?
2. What about Sarah Lawerence/Illinois State are you most interested in?
3. What are you looking to do after earning your graduate degree?
4. Can you tell us about a time you have struggled with a process, and how you overcame it?
5. What would you consider your greatest theatrical accomplishment? 
6. What kind of theatre are you looking to create?
7. Describe your ideal rehearsal process.
8. What is your greatest weakness?
9. What is your dream show, and why?

Some of those will more than likely be asked of you, and these are some samples of questions that I will be asking of various universities. 

1. Through what theatres and opportunities do (insert school here) assist my post-graduate career?

2. What are the lab opportunities like?

3. How consistent is the collaboration with the Playwriting program? (if applicable)

4. Will my current directing style be elevated, or will I learn the school's style of directing? ( I find this one to be important, as some universities will want you to start from square one and some will encourage the path you are on.)

Hope this helps and good luck with your interviews! Anyone else here apply to BU/UMass? Getting antsy waiting.

Edited by MolineM