Please evaluate me for fall 2011 admission

fathmi

Degree: B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering

Desired Degree: Masters in Mechanical or related faculty

Cumulative GPA: 2.89 out of 4

Job experience: Two and half years.

GRE: Registered for December 2010 exam

Target: Fall 2011

As I already have registered for GRE and have to give at least four universities on the test date for free, please evaluate my profile for any suitable US Universities, if there is any. It will be a great help to me.Thanks.

Degree: B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering

Desired Degree: Masters in Mechanical or related faculty

Cumulative GPA: 2.89 out of 4

Job experience: Two and half years.

GRE: Registered for December 2010 exam

Target: Fall 2011

As I already have registered for GRE and have to give at least four universities on the test date for free, please evaluate my profile for any suitable US Universities, if there is any. It will be a great help to me.Thanks.

I'm not sure about which universities would be a good match for you - that's really research you're going to have to do yourself. You didn't mention any research experience - that would help your application a lot. Also taking the GRE in Decemeber might be late unless you are applying to schools that have deadlines in mid-January or early Feb (especially for international applicants).

It does sound like a very late GRE date for Fall 2011, but it's possible.

I think my biggest worry would be the lack of research experience combined with the low GPA. Good research experience/publications can pull up a low GPA, and a stellar GPA can help overcome less research experience (especially if you're just going for a MS), but without either you might have problems.

Without research experience it might be hard to get into the M.S program. But due to to your prof. exp you might have a chance at a M.E (course work option) program. If your major GPA or upperclass GPA is significantly better it might help. I would still suggest that you apply to a few tier II universities. US News would be a good resource to know the average stats for most unis. Hope this helps.