GEM Fellowship 2023 Cycle

AnotherComplainingGradStud

On 11/28/2022 at 11:09 AM, AnotherComplainingGradStud said:

Has anyone started hearing anything? I know around this time last year people started getting matched.

I've received a notification stating that an employer has responded to my application, but I'm not really sure what that means?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2022 at 9:50 PM, Professionalstudent87 said:

Does anyone know if only those who applied for early decision are the ones hearing back now or have employers started reviewing all applicants?

I think it depends on which employers you listed as your top 3 as they all review applicants at different times.

I was an early decision applicant and had JHU APL, MIT Lincoln Lab, and Aerospace Corporation listed as my top 3. I've just started receiving emails about being under consideration and potential next steps as a PhD applicant.

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2022 at 10:54 AM, idkanything said:

I think it depends on which employers you listed as your top 3 as they all review applicants at different times.

I was an early decision applicant and had JHU APL, MIT Lincoln Lab, and Aerospace Corporation listed as my top 3. I've just started receiving emails about being under consideration and potential next steps as a PhD applicant.

Just giving a quick update -- after a couple rounds of interviews I've just been unofficially told by an employer that they will be extending me an offer. Now I just gotta nab a university sponsor.

Best of luck to everyone!

Edited by idkanything

On 1/28/2023 at 11:56 AM, YourClassmate said:

Cheers to all who matched with an employer.  I interviewed last December, as well, with a national laboratory.  I already accepted my offer.  Has anyone interviewed with member universities?

I didn't interview with member universities but did just recently receive an acceptance to one. I'll be reaching out to the GEM rep from that institution later this week to try and come in as a GEM fellow (which should be pretty straightforward as the university was already offering me funding).

My top 3 member employers were:  BNL, ORNL and LANL.  I matched with one of those laboratories.  I am shy to announce publicly which one yet.  Feel free to share the lab that you matched with for GEM.  

In reply to the previous post, I just wanted to say, "That's great!"  I am happy to hear that some have already received acceptance letters.  I have had interviews with several universities.  I am looking forward to finding out where I will end up.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:28 AM, idkanything said:

I didn't interview with member universities but did just recently receive an acceptance to one. I'll be reaching out to the GEM rep from that institution later this week to try and come in as a GEM fellow (which should be pretty straightforward as the university was already offering me funding).

Wonderful !  To me, it sounds like you have matched with an employer and a university.  As for my progress, my first acceptance letter just arrived to a GEM member university!  The GEM representatives have been great.  My status on eGEM was updated almost immediately.  I have heard that does not always happen.  

I accepted my formal offer with a GEM member employer but I'm still waiting on hearing back from some more schools. I've already been accepted tp a few however. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime? I updated my eGEM portal to show I've been accepted but idk if I should also email the GEM reps at all the schools as well since some of the schools on my portal still haven't even updated the university status to applied.

On 2/17/2023 at 4:25 PM, Valt263 said:

I accepted my formal offer with a GEM member employer but I'm still waiting on hearing back from some more schools. I've already been accepted tp a few however. Is there anything I should be doing in the meantime? I updated my eGEM portal to show I've been accepted but idk if I should also email the GEM reps at all the schools as well since some of the schools on my portal still haven't even updated the university status to applied.

I'm in the same boat. I've accepted an offer with a GEM employer. Waiting to hear back from one more school, and got accepted into the other 4. I put in the eGEM dashboard that I got accepted into the ones I know, but only 2 schools have said I applied. The other two are still pending verification, so it seems the university reps are behind. I've reached out via email to the GEM rep of my top choice university. It's been about a week, I haven't heard anything back yet ? . 

15 minutes ago, 8thhousesoul said:

I'm in the same boat. I've accepted an offer with a GEM employer. Waiting to hear back from one more school, and got accepted into the other 4. I put in the eGEM dashboard that I got accepted into the ones I know, but only 2 schools have said I applied. The other two are still pending verification, so it seems the university reps are behind. I've reached out via email to the GEM rep of my top choice university. It's been about a week, I haven't heard anything back yet ? . 

Yeah, I reached out to two of the GEM reps at two schools just asking if the university would agree to sponsor and one changed my application from pending to accepted so I guess most of them either forgot or will just do it whenever they want lol. I'm really just waiting for my top school (GT) but most likely gonna wait till march for MS decisions.

12 minutes ago, Valt263 said:

Yeah, I reached out to two of the GEM reps at two schools just asking if the university would agree to sponsor and one changed my application from pending to accepted so I guess most of them either forgot or will just do it whenever they want lol. I'm really just waiting for my top school (GT) but most likely gonna wait till march for MS decisions.

Did the reps that changed your application from pending to accepted offer you a sponorship? Or did they just change it and didn't offer anything yet?

On 2/1/2023 at 12:05 PM, YourClassmate said:

My top 3 member employers were:  BNL, ORNL and LANL.  I matched with one of those laboratories.  I am shy to announce publicly which one yet.  Feel free to share the lab that you matched with for GEM.  

In reply to the previous post, I just wanted to say, "That's great!"  I am happy to hear that some have already received acceptance letters.  I have had interviews with several universities.  I am looking forward to finding out where I will end up.

Ahhh no worries I totally understand!! Congratulations again. Thanks to other posters’ advice from previous years/threads, I matched with a national lab and am currently a PhD student. 

Edited by constellationsoup