Evaluating GRE optional

cappuccino336

Hey guys. Wondered if anyone would weigh in on how they suspect applications in GRE optional pools will be  evaluated? For example, I was told by a top tier institution that they need to feel you will be capable of demanding statistics courses in their graduate program to be considered. I followed up with asking how one might demonstrate this, and they said through GREs, yet GRE was made optional for every program I am applying to and am not submitting. Thoughts about how this will actually play out inside adcoms given the documented weight GRE has played historically? Just food for thought. Good luck to all this cycle! 

My sense is that if you have taken advanced stats coursework or conducted quantitative research you should be okay to skip submitting the GRE, especially if your quant score is not as high as you'd like. I know that many programs are keeping the GRE optional only because the university won't allow them to completely drop it as a requirement. If you're worried that your coursework and research experience isn't enough to speak for your abilities, you can also ask a LOR writer who is familiar with your ability to mention it in their recommendation.

If you think it's too late to take the GRE (personally, I wouldn't at this point), you might ask a letter writer to speak to your methodological skills. Your undergraduate stats or methods prof would be up to the task. That's a role I've taken on as letter writer and instructor for some of my department's quant methods courses and it seems to have worked out well for my former students.