2023 Applications: Cinema and Media Studies

nomis97

Hi everyone! The forum seems to be quiet this year. I am applying to cinema and media studies phd programs, and I am happy to connect with other folks! I mostly work on media theory, urban space, and STS in the East Asian context (mostly China). My work is also quite interdisciplinary, and I have applied to a mix of film and media, and interdisciplinary phd programs such as USC, Brown, Berkeley, UCSB, NYU (MCC), Stanford (MTL), and Harvard (East Asian).

I know that there is already a thread elsewhere, but given the limited traffic in the other section, I thought I should re-start here. But in case anyone wants to visit posts already there (you are welcome to repost here!).

https://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/139957-2023-applicants-in-cinema-studies-film-studies/

Looking forward to connecting with all of you! 

On 12/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, wanlichangcheng said:

Hi, Nomis. My work is very similar to yours! Looks like you and I have a few overlapping applications. Best of luck to you!

Hello! Very good to know that you are working on similar topics. Out of curiosity given our similar interests but different school strategies: what makes you want to apply to mostly East Asian programs than comp lit/film studies? I am mainly applying to film and media studies because of my interests and background in global art cinema (at least when I did my MA), and I feel more comfortable teaching intro-level film courses than language courses. I am definitely curious to hear your side of the story!

Hi Nomis! That's a good question. Partly it comes down to where the POI is; in some cases, I have applied to comp lit/film studies departments when there is a professor there who is specialized in an EAS-related area (in my case, modern Chinese film/lit/cultural history). But otherwise, I mainly applied to EAS departments based on my experience so far. I did my undergrad and am doing my master's in EAS departments, and really enjoy being around professors and other students working in EAS. In fact, my undergrad coursework was strongly focused on modern Chinese political history; it wasn't until recently that I began to explore film and literature, so I'd probably feel more competent teaching an into-level course on a topic other than film. I think being in an EAS dept. is a great way to share ideas and knowledge. For instance, having the opportunity to chat with a fellow grad student working on premodern literature or late-imperial history is great. I think that if I were in a comp lit or film studies department there might be a higher chance of being sort of an "academic island," where other people are studying the same kind of stuff (i.e., literature or film) as you, but might not have much else in common in terms of background knowledge. But this might also be a good thing, since it would allow me to deepen my understanding of the texts I research theoretically, globally, etc. 

Edited by wanlichangcheng

On 1/4/2023 at 10:07 AM, wanlichangcheng said:

Hi Nomis! That's a good question. Partly it comes down to where the POI is; in some cases, I have applied to comp lit/film studies departments when there is a professor there who is specialized in an EAS-related area (in my case, modern Chinese film/lit/cultural history). But otherwise, I mainly applied to EAS departments based on my experience so far. I did my undergrad and am doing my master's in EAS departments, and really enjoy being around professors and other students working in EAS. In fact, my undergrad coursework was strongly focused on modern Chinese political history; it wasn't until recently that I began to explore film and literature, so I'd probably feel more competent teaching an into-level course on a topic other than film. I think being in an EAS dept. is a great way to share ideas and knowledge. For instance, having the opportunity to chat with a fellow grad student working on premodern literature or late-imperial history is great. I think that if I were in a comp lit or film studies department there might be a higher chance of being sort of an "academic island," where other people are studying the same kind of stuff (i.e., literature or film) as you, but might not have much else in common in terms of background knowledge. But this might also be a good thing, since it would allow me to deepen my understanding of the texts I research theoretically, globally, etc. 

That makes sense! Thanks for sharing and good luck :)

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sugarscoop said:

Hey all, did anyone get an interview with UC Santa Barbara? One was posted on the results page...

Hey! I posted that on the result page! It was a pretty casual interview with a group of committee members. I assume that the decision will be posted in a few days?

On 1/28/2023 at 9:07 PM, wanlichangcheng said:

Good luck next week, everyone! Hopefully we get some contact from our programs. 

Good luck to you too! Do you know what are the programs that might post their results this week?

15 minutes ago, nomis97 said:

Good luck to you too! Do you know what are the programs that might post their results this week?

Unfortunately I don't have much data to go on, but I checked some of the historic results (past few years) on the Results page and found a few (weak) trends: 

-UW (Cinema): interviews clustered in early Feb.; decisions in mid-Feb.

-NYU Tisch (Cinema): mid-March

-Brown (Modern Culture and Media): mid-Feb

Take this with a grain of salt because this is pretty weak data to go off of, but in any case, I'm just hoping I hear something soon as my anxiety is through the roof. Good luck to all this week!

Edited by wanlichangcheng
clarified programs

1 hour ago, wanlichangcheng said:

Unfortunately I don't have much data to go on, but I checked some of the historic results (past few years) on the Results page and found a few (weak) trends: 

-UW (Cinema): interviews clustered in early Feb.; decisions in mid-Feb.

-NYU Tisch (Cinema): mid-March

-Brown (Modern Culture and Media): mid-Feb

Take this with a grain of salt because this is pretty weak data to go off of, but in any case, I'm just hoping I hear something soon as my anxiety is through the roof. Good luck to all this week!

Thanks! And UChicago also usually releases their results early in February, right? It's good that most decisions should be out by mid February.

UChicago EALC's website (not sure if that's the program you're referring to) says, "All admissions decisions will be released through the online application in mid-February," but they also indicate on the same page that applicants are notified by the department in March. So, a bit inconclusive! 

17 hours ago, wanlichangcheng said:

UChicago EALC's website (not sure if that's the program you're referring to) says, "All admissions decisions will be released through the online application in mid-February," but they also indicate on the same page that applicants are notified by the department in March. So, a bit inconclusive! 

I'm talking about the Cinema and Media Studies department, but good to know the EALC timeline!

1 hour ago, nomis97 said:

Not yet! But given the past timeline, I think we will hear something soon.

Absolutely! I'm on edge. Really not sure what to expect, even though I am confident in my profile and research. Best of luck to you. I will post an update if/when I have one!

28 minutes ago, nomis97 said:

Has anyone heard anything from UCSB? Had an interview 2 weeks ago and has not heard back ever since. In the past they seem to admit people pretty soon after the interview...

It's possible that the grad strike situation in the UCs has affected the whole decision rollout process, but that's just speculation. 

Just now, wanlichangcheng said:

It's possible that the grad strike situation in the UCs has affected the whole decision rollout process, but that's just speculation. 

You may be right! Hope there won't be too much of impact funding-wise

9 hours ago, coathanger2 said:

Any information on NYU MCC and Brown MCM? There’s so little information out there on what the programs are like… I’ve heard zero updates but just dreamin ?

Haven't heard anything from Brown; not sure about NYU. Did anyone else apply to NYU Tisch Cinema Studies?

26 minutes ago, wanlichangcheng said:

Haven't heard anything from Brown; not sure about NYU. Did anyone else apply to NYU Tisch Cinema Studies?

I did! Their decisions usually come out the latest of all...Probably won't hear until early March for interview. Decisions come a week later.