NIH PREP 2023-2024 Applicants Unite!

you.0

Following in the same vein of the prior years' posts, I wanted to start a thread here we could keep track of applicants and applications. I want to make an online tracker which can help everyone see how the season is going so far, and hopefully start an annual tradition of tracking these metrics to make the process more open, transparent, and insightful for applicants.

You can find the page here: https://fabulous-pest-12c.notion.site/NIH-PREP-2023-2024-Tracker-4ac3f789b91e43d9a9a05cd0fd7d0c00

I'm really excited! A little about the tracker:

• You can use an anonymous applicant name unrelated to anything, or you can use your handle here (or really whatever)
  • You can select which programs you applied to, have been offered invites to, have been accepted to, and have been rejected from
  • You can see how many people have applied, interviewed, accepted, rejected  - that have put their data into the system

For next year, feel free to copy the page as a template!

I'm thinking we can include our application stats and any details we want in the applicant page, but maybe that's TMI. Open to input! I'm happy to update with my info if people want!

Also, I'm interested in start a biweekly/monthly journal club where we can discuss an article together! If you're interested comment below and shoo me a DM!

• 1 month later...

@you.0

Thank you for making this thread! Including the tracker was a great idea because I feel there is very little transparency about the application process because of how decentralized NIH PREP programs are. Hopefully, future applicants will get a better sense of the timeline for interviews, acceptances, etc for a wide range of programs. How is everyone feeling? Any interview invites floating around yet?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 8:47 PM, green-ribboned_wreck said:

Hey All

I’m feeling crushed. I found out today that I got waitlisted by UMass Chan’s PREP program. 
Just checking in - has anyone heard anything from CSHL, UMass Amherst, or Harvard RSI? I’m thinking of applying to Rochester as well…

Hi @green-ribboned_wreck! I’m sorry to hear about UMass Chan, but rooting for you to get off the waitlist! Based on some old forums, it seems like Harvard has historically sent out interviews during this past week? I’m not sure about the others though :(

Edited by unzipyourgenes

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I’m grateful to have picked a program to start this summer. I’m posting this because it might be helpful for people looking to apply to NIH PREP programs for 2024-25. Here’s how my application “cycle” went:

- Boston University: interviewed early March, accepted in March (~1 week after interview)

- Tufts University: interviewed late March (2 interviews), accepted early April (~1 week after second interview)

- UMass Chan: interviewed late March, accepted early April (less than a week after interview)

- Harvard RSI: interviewed mid-April (2 interviews), accepted late April (~1 week after second interview)

- MIT Research Scholar Program: rejected, no interview 

- PennPREP: rejected, no interview 

- UNC PREP: interviewed late March, rejected early April

If anyone has any questions about anything in my apps, feel free to reach out! I hope the cycle went well for others and I‘m excited to be starting Harvard RSI this summer - reach out if you’ll be in the Boston area for PREP too!

• 9 months later...