PhD Student and Former Professor Attraction

PhD Work

So, gradually over last semester, I started falling for my married professor with whom I will never again have a class. I’m a PhD student.

From the beginning of the semester, my professor seemed to single me out for academic praise in class, and she also listened to everything I said to people before class started, most of the time laughing at what I said (I meant to be funny) and joining the conversation briefly. She always made sure she could see me in class, always said my name in class (unlike she did with other students), and I feel heavy sexual tension between us. We also exchanged lots of “interest” glances at one another. Several times during the semester I emailed her about class, emails about class topics that truly interested me. At a reception, she came across the room to say hello and put her hand on my shoulder and arm.

After the semester was over, we went out for drinks with a few other students, and she couldn’t take her eyes off of me. And laughed at all of my silly jokes. That night, she found out I play in a band, and she asked me twice to let her know when we would be playing so she could come watch the gig. When she left the bar, I looked up to see her staring at me and smiling before she finally left. Then, for course, I asked if I could friend her on Facebook, and she said yes.

So, is she attracted to me? I want to be friends with her, but I’m not sure if she realizes I’m crazy about her (I tease her and flirt with her quite a bit). If she knows I’m attracted to her, I’m afraid she might pull away if I even ask her to have coffee.

Advice, please!

Getting involved with your married faculty member is a bad idea for a whole host of reasons. I would probably have as little contact with this person as possible. Academia is a small world and you don’t want to establish the wrong kind of reputation, in addition to the general morality concerns. 

4 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Getting involved with your married faculty member is a bad idea for a whole host of reasons. I would probably have as little contact with this person as possible. Academia is a small world and you don’t want to establish the wrong kind of reputation, in addition to the general morality concerns. 

Well, yeah ? I’m not even sure she’s attracted to me. Maybe she’s just friendly.