2023 Global Studies / International Studies

joshualuo7

Is anyone else applying to Global Studies / International Studies programs this cycle? I thought I'd start a thread. 

I applied to 2 Global Studies PhD at UCI and UCSB, just received invitation from the admission event / interview at UCI, haven't heard anything from UCSB yet although I do see people posting interviews already on the result board here so I probably did not made the cut.

I'm also thinking about applying to the International Studies Program at Simon Fraser University, at least according to their website they seems to fully fund MA student (at least the tuition) and I do have a professor in the department I'm familiar with.     

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Kalatozov said:

Hi! Did anyone receive any news from UC Irvine Global Studies after the interview?

Hi I was interviewed last Friday and haven't heard anything back yet. They said they'll release the decisions "after a few days" but I guess not lol 

30 minutes ago, Kalatozov said:

I wonder if they emailed anyone or they just send notifications all at once. I was interviewed on Friday too.

Honestly I have no clue. Do you know how many people they have interviewed? I think there was around 12 ish people at the info session last week. I know they are looking to enroll 6-7 student for 2023 so I would assume they are looking to accept the majority of the people who were interviewed. 

20 minutes ago, joshualuo7 said:

Honestly I have no clue. Do you know how many people they have interviewed? I think there was around 12 ish people at the info session last week. I know they are looking to enroll 6-7 student for 2023 so I would assume they are looking to accept the majority of the people who were interviewed. 

I have no idea either, I also think they interviewed 10-14 people. I guess it won't take too long to make a decision in that kind of pool, but it already took more than 1 week.

38 minutes ago, Kalatozov said:

I have no idea either, I also think they interviewed 10-14 people. I guess it won't take too long to make a decision in that kind of pool, but it already took more than 1 week.

I’m thinking they’re taking too long as well, perhaps they’ve already send out an wave of acceptance? But then again, faculties certainly do take their time in these situations. I figure if I still don’t get an response by early next week I might email them.

On 2/12/2023 at 4:29 AM, joshualuo7 said:

I’m thinking they’re taking too long as well, perhaps they’ve already send out an wave of acceptance? But then again, faculties certainly do take their time in these situations. I figure if I still don’t get an response by early next week I might email them.

Someone just posted that they have been accepted on the 10th of February, so I guess they have already sent out the acceptances.

31 minutes ago, Kalatozov said:

Someone just posted that they have been accepted on the 10th of February, so I guess they have already sent out the acceptances.

Well, that's quite disappointing for sure, I'll shoot them an email asking about my status then. BTW did you applied to UCSB Global Studies? If so have you heard from them? 

41 minutes ago, joshualuo7 said:

Nope, I would assume I'm rejected but I did email the department and they say to expect the result in March

Keep me updated on what UC Irvine tells you about the admissions! I wonder why they wouldn't send other decision letters when the number of candidates was not very large.

Edited by Kalatozov

21 hours ago, Kalatozov said:

Keep me updated on what UC Irvine tells you about the admissions! I wonder why they wouldn't send other decision letters when the number of candidates was not very large.

I emailed the department yesterday asking if I'm waitlisted or rejected and they got back to me this morning saying they are still in the process of making decisions and it could still take weeks. So I guess it could mean they still haven't sent out all decisions yet.

40 minutes ago, joshualuo7 said:

I emailed the department yesterday asking if I'm waitlisted or rejected and they got back to me this morning saying they are still in the process of making decisions and it could still take weeks. So I guess it could mean they still haven't sent out all decisions yet.

That gives at least some hope, waiting for their final decisions. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 10:40 PM, joshualuo7 said:

I just received an email that I have been put on waitlist. Did you receive anything?

On 2/22/2023 at 4:51 PM, Kalatozov said:

I just received an email that I have been put on waitlist. Did you receive anything?

Hi I wonder have you heard anything from the department yet? I sent an email to the department to check my status and they told me they already sent out the first wave of acceptances and are waiting for those people to accept/decline the offer before making further offers. So I guess I'm also on an waitlist of sorts

3 hours ago, joshualuo7 said:

Hi I wonder have you heard anything from the department yet? I sent an email to the department to check my status and they told me they already sent out the first wave of acceptances and are waiting for those people to accept/decline the offer before making further offers. So I guess I'm also on an waitlist of sorts

I have not heard anything from the department since the waitlist notification. UCSB has officially rejected me too, I did not expect any other outcome after I was not invited to an interview. I wish we had any more information about the Irvine waitlist, how many applicants got in and how many are on the waiting list.