Explaining my reason for transferring to a new program: How does this sound?

lorenzen

In my first semester at a phd program, they got rid of my specialization and people whom I wanted to work with left. As a result of these changes, I only completed one semester and left.

Some have told me to not mention this on my SOP and let the transcripts do the talking. Others have told me to explain myself.

If I opt for the latter (and if you agree that I should include a reference to the situation on my SOP), how does this sound:

After explaining my undergrad and master's experience (two different institutions), I touch upon my time in the PhD in this paragraph:

During this past semester at ABC University's program, I have gained valuable ABC research experience through working with the statistical package ABC and by designing and administering ABCs. While these experiences have helped prepare me to conduct rigorous research, the program eradicated its specialization in ABC shortly after my arrival, which also coincided with the departure of a number of faculty I had been greatly interested in learning from and collaborating with on research.

( I then go on to re-state how a PhD from the new institution fits my research goals, and present my broad career goals, and state briefly again my dissertation goal at the new university).

“Erraticated” is kind of strong language. Personally, I would open (first line, out of the gate) “I’m applying to ABC Uni’s PhD program this cycle as a transfer because my current dept has opted to no longer house my sub speciality area.”

and leave it at that

I think it's best to explain the genesis of your transfer, and I agree with letsgetit21's recommended revision. I like that you discussed what you got out of your time there (e.g., research skills), but perhaps that could be moved to another section so that this statement can be shorter and focused on the cause of your transfer. If any of the outgoing faculty you planned to work with will be furnishing a letter on your behalf, consider asking them to briefly touch on the subject.

Good luck!