Fall 2023 Admissions

Didn't see the thread started for this year's cycle. Just received my first acceptance from Michigan State so hopefully others are hearing good news soon as well! Feel free to put your list of schools, research interests, or whatever else you feel comfortable sharing! My other schools I am waiting to hear from are American and UMass Lowell and I am focusing on terrorism and political violence within criminology. Best of luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there! I have not heard back from any programs as of yet, but I am anxiously awaiting responses to roll in. I applied to 7 programs, but one of my recommenders was very slow submitting her letters, so I am hoping that does not effect my likelihood of getting accepted to any of the programs. Congratulations on already getting an acceptance! Have you heard back from any others yet? What are your research interests? 

On 1/31/2023 at 1:32 PM, VisionFan said:

Hello there! I have not heard back from any programs as of yet, but I am anxiously awaiting responses to roll in. I applied to 7 programs, but one of my recommenders was very slow submitting her letters, so I am hoping that does not effect my likelihood of getting accepted to any of the programs. Congratulations on already getting an acceptance! Have you heard back from any others yet? What are your research interests? 

I haven’t heard from the others yet. Judging from past years I expect to hear from American and Lowell at the end of February. As for your letter writer I don’t think it will impact decisions. One of my letter writers was also a tad slow and the program (Lowell) had a few extra days of leeway past the initial deadline.

Right now I’m interested in the economic consequences and civilian responses to terrorism and mass shootings. There’s a lot of research in terrorism about its effects on the economy but very little for mass shootings. Then it’s always interesting to see how effective crimes like terrorism are in affecting the wider populace. 

What programs did you apply to?

Hello everyone!

I am applying for Rutgers-Newark and Northeastern. I received an email from Rutgers a few weeks ago with the calendar of the admission process. This week they will sent emails to interview through zoom.

from Northeastern I received nothing. Did anyone applied also and/or have any news? 

I applied for a PhD, had a zoom interview early January and going to an in-person second round interview this weekend, so I'd say they have probably already reached out to everyone they have short-listed for acceptances, unless they accept some people without interviews, which I think they don't

1 hour ago, xStardust said:

@Sky_ Hi! I interviewed with Penn late January, and am interviewing with Irvine on Friday. Maryland doesn’t do interviews, and I haven’t heard anything from them either

Thanks for the info and good luck with those interviews! Do you know if Penn and Irvine do formal interviews with everyone on the shortlist or was this an informal chat? I guess I am trying to gauge how competitive of an applicant I am in this cycle.

2 hours ago, Sky_ said:

Thanks for the info and good luck with those interviews! Do you know if Penn and Irvine do formal interviews with everyone on the shortlist or was this an informal chat? I guess I am trying to gauge how competitive of an applicant I am in this cycle.

Thank you! Penn was definitely an interview, and Irvine seems to be a series of interviews with different professors throughout the day. As far as I know, Penn interviews everyone they accept, but for Irvine I’m not sure. Good luck to you this cycle too, I hope you hear good news

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update post. Lowell recently sent me an informal acceptance at the beginning of March while American is still leaving me in the dark. Not sure if they are behind on their schedule or not so if anyone else has applied there and could give insight that would be appreciated.

Update on my status: Accepted with full funding to Old Dominion University with full funding and extra funds for travel/conferences. I have received acceptances to UCF, FSU, and UALR with funding, and rejections from GMU, UPenn, and Maryland. I have not heard back from the other programs yet, but I am going to accept my position at ODU because I have spoken with current students, faculty, and I have prayerfully considered the decision. It is a great fit for my research and personal interests. I am very excited about this next chapter, and I can't wait to hear about everyone else's updates too!

On 3/4/2023 at 4:59 PM, Atbresearch said:

American sent out offers

Yeah, they just sent me a subtle rejection with an acceptance into a Master’s program. Came with a fee waiver so that was nice but still disappointing all the same. Congratulations on your acceptance!