Work experience - Your advice for a future applicant

Julieng

Hello everyone,

I intend to apply for an MPP/MPA in a few years. I have a bachelor's degree in Economics from a French University, and a double-degree Msc in Management/MBA from a French Grande Ecole and a University in Canada. However, I realized during my studies that working for the private sector was not for me, and decided to look for other directions to give to my professional career. I'm especially interested in working in the field of International Relations.

My plan is to get a good work experience during the next few years and then apply to an MPA/MPP/MA in IR. Right now, my concern is to get the work experience that would allow me to get into these programs. Therefore, I would like to have your opinion on which type of work experience I should get. I would like to start working directly into the IR, but my profile does not seem to fit the need of this sector. Is there any organization (public or non-profit) that are looking for people with my profile? Or should I focus on the private sector for the moment and try to get the most of managerial experience that I can get ?

Your advice is more than welcome !

Thanks

I intend to apply for an MPP/MPA in a few years. I have a bachelor's degree in Economics from a French University, and a double-degree Msc in Management/MBA from a French Grande Ecole and a University in Canada. However, I realized during my studies that working for the private sector was not for me, and decided to look for other directions to give to my professional career. I'm especially interested in working in the field of International Relations.

My plan is to get a good work experience during the next few years and then apply to an MPA/MPP/MA in IR. Right now, my concern is to get the work experience that would allow me to get into these programs. Therefore, I would like to have your opinion on which type of work experience I should get. I would like to start working directly into the IR, but my profile does not seem to fit the need of this sector. Is there any organization (public or non-profit) that are looking for people with my profile? Or should I focus on the private sector for the moment and try to get the most of managerial experience that I can get ?

What do you want to do in IR long-term? Because that may drive whether or not you actually need another degree.

My background is education/US domestic policy, so others on this board surely know more than I do. But I also advise undergraduates through my work, so I don't think this is totally off base.

With your profile (economics degree, management/business administration degree, apparent fluency in at least English and French), I assume you would be able to secure a pretty respectable entry-level or higher-than-entry-level position at the World Bank or the IMF as an analyst or an economist or a researcher of some sort. That might provide you an opportunity to utilize the skill set you already have while developing content knowledge and expertise in international and/or development issues. You might find such a position would give you the background to pursue an MPA/MPP/MA in IR, but you also might find that with management background and experience working in governmental/nongovernmental economics and finance for development purposes, that you can keep working in the field without an additional expensive and time-consuming degree.

What do you want to do in IR long-term? Because that may drive whether or not you actually need another degree.

My background is education/US domestic policy, so others on this board surely know more than I do. But I also advise undergraduates through my work, so I don't think this is totally off base.

With your profile (economics degree, management/business administration degree, apparent fluency in at least English and French), I assume you would be able to secure a pretty respectable entry-level or higher-than-entry-level position at the World Bank or the IMF as an analyst or an economist or a researcher of some sort. That might provide you an opportunity to utilize the skill set you already have while developing content knowledge and expertise in international and/or development issues. You might find such a position would give you the background to pursue an MPA/MPP/MA in IR, but you also might find that with management background and experience working in governmental/nongovernmental economics and finance for development purposes, that you can keep working in the field without an additional expensive and time-consuming degree.

Thanks for your answer,

The problem in my case is that I have very few professional experience (5-month internship in an NGO in Berlin). Therefore, I find it very difficult to enter organizations such as the World Bank, UN, etc. who usually require applicants to have some professional experience. Same concerning major NGOs. Moreover, and here is the big issue for me, it appears that most of IR-related entry-level positions are looking for people with master degrees in IR, political science, or economics. A business degree does not seem to fit. That's why I'd like to apply for an MPA/MPP/MA in IR in a few years, as it would give me the opportunity to enter these organizations. However, if there's an opportunity to get a job there without having to go through another degree, I'd be very interested to know about that. But as for now, I have found nothing that would allow me to do that.

I'm not sure if the return on investment for an IR degree would be worth it. If you want to work a the world bank, i'd suggest getting some finance experience at another bank for a few years and then applying there, -or- trying to get a job as a contractor there. I believe, someone correct me, but it is tough to get a position there, but it is easier to get a contract one through an outside company.

In any case, I don't think education is where you should put your effort, put your focus into a job search strategy.

good luck

Thanks for your answer,

The problem in my case is that I have very few professional experience (5-month internship in an NGO in Berlin). Therefore, I find it very difficult to enter organizations such as the World Bank, UN, etc. who usually require applicants to have some professional experience. Same concerning major NGOs. Moreover, and here is the big issue for me, it appears that most of IR-related entry-level positions are looking for people with master degrees in IR, political science, or economics. A business degree does not seem to fit. That's why I'd like to apply for an MPA/MPP/MA in IR in a few years, as it would give me the opportunity to enter these organizations. However, if there's an opportunity to get a job there without having to go through another degree, I'd be very interested to know about that. But as for now, I have found nothing that would allow me to do that.

Thanks for your answer,

Have you been to the World Bank's employment website? http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTHRJOBS/0,,contentMDK:20522507~menuPK:64262363~pagePK:64262408~piPK:64262191~theSitePK:1058433,00.html. A lot of the positions list an MBA as a relevant and desirable degree to hold, so I think your issue is really just getting enough work experience, and while an IR degree might help provide a good context for what you want to do, it will only further delay the real start of your work experience.

Also, have you thought about the Junior Professional Associates program? http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTHRJOBS/0,,contentMDK:20515930~menuPK:1477636~pagePK:64262408~piPK:64262191~theSitePK:1058433,00.html#Top This program may be the one best suited to your experience and academic background. You may not work for the World Bank for a full two years after your two-year contract is complete, but you still get two years of experience with the World Bank, which I imagine is a pretty good stepping stone to other sorts of IR/development work. There are probably other programs like this one with the IMF or the EU or NGOs -- the larger ones, anyway -- that are designed to take smart, motivated people and work them intensely for two years before recycling them.

Another option is to consider going into either non-profit (Bridgespan, etc.) or for-profit consulting with an international focus. That might not be the way you want to spend the next two-three years, but it would certainly be a path that values your education background and would provide a lot of highly relevant experience.

Have you been to the World Bank's employment website? http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTHRJOBS/0,,contentMDK:20522507~menuPK:64262363~pagePK:64262408~piPK:64262191~theSitePK:1058433,00.html. A lot of the positions list an MBA as a relevant and desirable degree to hold, so I think your issue is really just getting enough work experience, and while an IR degree might help provide a good context for what you want to do, it will only further delay the real start of your work experience.

Also, have you thought about the Junior Professional Associates program? http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/EXTHRJOBS/0,,contentMDK:20515930~menuPK:1477636~pagePK:64262408~piPK:64262191~theSitePK:1058433,00.html#Top This program may be the one best suited to your experience and academic background. You may not work for the World Bank for a full two years after your two-year contract is complete, but you still get two years of experience with the World Bank, which I imagine is a pretty good stepping stone to other sorts of IR/development work. There are probably other programs like this one with the IMF or the EU or NGOs -- the larger ones, anyway -- that are designed to take smart, motivated people and work them intensely for two years before recycling them.

Another option is to consider going into either non-profit (Bridgespan, etc.) or for-profit consulting with an international focus. That might not be the way you want to spend the next two-three years, but it would certainly be a path that values your education background and would provide a lot of highly relevant experience.

Thanks for your answer.

I've had a look at the JPA program and I'm preparing my application there. I've also done the same for Bridgespan. I actually never heard of Bridgespan before, and I find the concept very interesting. It seems very hard to get a job there though, so I'm not very optimistic. I have looked for other similar companies on the web, but couldn't find anything. Have you heard of another consulting firm specialized on non-profit ?

Thanks again for all this very useful information.

I assume you're a French or EU citizen, correct? If you want to look for similar opportunities (to the WB) in financial development cooperation check out the European Investment Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the Council of Europe Development Bank. Each of them work in development, some more focused on Eastern Europe and Central Asia, but at least as far as I know the EIB is also present in other parts of the world. They certainly offer entry positions which might be comparable to the JPA. Didn't do any research into those program but I know of some of the work they are doing. hope that might help you

I assume you're a French or EU citizen, correct? If you want to look for similar opportunities (to the WB) in financial development cooperation check out the European Investment Bank, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development and the Council of Europe Development Bank. Each of them work in development, some more focused on Eastern Europe and Central Asia, but at least as far as I know the EIB is also present in other parts of the world. They certainly offer entry positions which might be comparable to the JPA. Didn't do any research into those program but I know of some of the work they are doing. hope that might help you

Thanks Cdot, I had a look at the different websites, and these organizations seem to be very interesting