For those looking to do an MPA in around 5 or so years, what are the best things to get on your resume?

Arinix

Sorry if this isn't totally appropriate, but I'm looking to do an MPA or MPP when I'm in my early 30s (26 now.) What are the best things I can do between now and then to improve my resume?

Any jobs I should take, or skills I should pick up?

To phrase it differently, what do you wish you had more of on your resume when you applied? Thanks in advance!

I was a bit older when I went back for my MPA.  Having relevant work experience really helped make the program more enjoyable because I could relate the theory to real life experience.

So my recommendation would be to get as much relevant work, policy, or whatever experience you can.

I don't know how useful my advice would be, but I am somebody who's pivoting from computer science and engineering to public policy this year. Had planned to apply for MPP back in 2020 but after talking to a few people and some introspection, some things that really helped me are- volunteering, data/quant skills, more policy/dev work ex and free online courses/workshops. These not only boosted my resume but also were instrumental in better defining my goals and what I wanted to get out of my degree and whether I really needed to pursue one.

On 1/19/2023 at 3:36 PM, Arinix said:

Sorry if this isn't totally appropriate, but I'm looking to do an MPA or MPP when I'm in my early 30s (26 now.) What are the best things I can do between now and then to improve my resume?

Any jobs I should take, or skills I should pick up?

To phrase it differently, what do you wish you had more of on your resume when you applied? Thanks in advance!

Leadership experience will set you apart, so try to manage people and/or a budget and do it well