GRE scores and International students

mcmanos

Hi everyone,

Just did my first GRE earlier week, with somewhat dissapointing results: V570 (the lower end of my training's result spectrum), Q750, AWA still not in. I'm not from the US and English is not my mother tongue. I should also note that I'm currently an MA student in Political Science, aiming for the top tier PolSci departments in the US (applying this fall). I have research experience, TA experience, and I expect good recommendation letters, at least one from a well known professor in my sub-field of interest.

Now, as tempting as it may be, I'm going to avoid asking if this will get me in - I realize that a definite answer is simply not out there.

However, I was hoping that I could use your help in rationally assessing the possibility of a second rin (I still have time to take another exam in the upcoming weeks, come October).

Firstly, I wanted to ask your opinion of this result, assuming I aim quite high.

Secondly, I wanted to ask yout opinion on the importance of brilliant verbal results for international students. Is this really a problematic result for my background? Would an improvement of 30-50 points in the verbal, while surely positive, be of any acute importance?

Thirdly, I wanted to ask whether taking more than one test is taken to note by the schools. I'm finding it hard to evaluate the risks of receiving another good-not-brilliant grade, yet for the second time.

I would greatly appreciate any advice...

Your research experience and letters are of much more importance than your GRE scores, which are not terrible by the way and probably wouldn't be disqualifying from a top school. That said, if you feel you can score higher on the verbal, then go for it. A 600-650 looks a lot better than a 570 and you want to give yourself the best possible chance at a top school.

As for if the schools see when you do the test more than once, the answer is yes. However at the end of the test, if you feel you have done badly, you can always cancel it, and they would just see the first test you did.

Edited by newms

As my spirited opponent in the word game, :) newms, said, your V score is not a bad score.

I just looked at ETS's statistics. For Political Science majors in the year 2003, 570 was 64th percentile, whereas 610 was 74th percentile.

There is an important psychological advantage, I believe, if you can break into the top quarter for your field. Particularly at the most selective institutions. Remember, they receive applications from people all over the world, including so-called "international" students who have in fact lived in English speaking countries for many years, and thus would score almost as highly as native speakers.

Bottom line: I agree with newms. It's worth it to you to try to push your 570 into the 600-650 range if possible.

Good luck,

John

Hi,

I'm an international student as well, applying to the top masters degrees in Political Science like you. I did some research on the minimum GRE score. Of course it depends on your application, the GRE is just a part of it, but Ivy Schools have quotas for international students and DrFaustus has a point : international students can score high for many reasons in the verbal section. Those students are the ones you're gonna be in competition with. I never lived in an english speaking country, I just studied really hard and reached 670 in verbal (750 in Q). It's worth giving the GRE an onther shot, especially if you wanna get in Ivy. Well, I'm just saying... It's a very very competitive process, so just do your best to put together the best application you possibly can. Also, you don't seem to have a work experience so they will pay more attention to your GRE. Bu on the other hand, I have an american friend who scored 780 in verbal, 780 in Q, had an AMAIZING GPA, excellent recommendations and didn't get in anywhere (unsuffiscient work experience and extra curriculum activities). Again, it's so hard to tell...

Good luck.

Hi everyone,

First of all, warm thanks for your answers and wise advice.

This issue deprived me of sleep for a couple of days, but I eventually decided to take it easy for a while and wait for the AWA scores as well.

I have lots of other urgent stuff for my current studies, which were deep freezed for a few weeks due to the GRE. As long as 1320 would presumably not cut me off immediately at most top schools, with me being a foreign student and all, I figured that I could use the time to improve other aspects of my application, such as strengthening my bond with my LoR posters and possibly contacting prospective professors from the US.

Also, I may have been misunderstood - I gained much experience in recent years at teaching assistance for undergraduate courses and research assistance. I also have some non-academic experience, such as business market research for pay for a while.

Regarding TOEFEL - I had yet to do the test, though I plan to take it sometimes in the upcoming month and a half. All in all, I'm not too worried, after a brief examination of the general English level needed.

Anyway, thanks again everyone.

Of course, if you have some more thoughts on the subject - both for me and on for the general topic of GRE and international students, I'd be more than happy to read.