UToronto Philosophy PhD - question, but also general thread

Outis01

Hi all, wanting some information about UT's philosophy PhD. I applied for the direct entry, and getting nervous since last year's acceptances look like they were mostly sent out early Feb. 

I'm looking to do the history of philosophy in South Asia, specifically Hindu-Muslim philosophical exchange/debate/appropriation. I personally think I have about as good of an application as I could have managed to produce over the past four years (which is not to say perfect, but I've worked my ass off), but obviously this does not guarantee anything. I am an American, and was wondering if anyone knows whether that will have an effect on my application. A trusted professor here told me that he thinks they basically are going to take one American, but I'd like to here from others before I give him any credence. 

Also, general discussion thread!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure why U of T would take only a single American. After all, I imagine many (if not most!) of their most promising applicants come from the states.

I've heard it's true that most Canadian programs have fewer spots open for international students on account of the fact that international students are charged higher tuition and are, therefore, more difficult to fund. However, unlike most Canadian programs, I believe U of T charges nearly the same tuition to both domestic and international students, precisely so that they can more readily attract and fund international talent. Of course, there could be other factors at play here that I am ignorant of. I won't pretend to have much of an understanding of how this mystifying process works. ?‍♂️

On 2/8/2023 at 4:00 PM, Featherless Biped said:

I'm not sure why U of T would take only a single American. After all, I imagine many (if not most!) of their most promising applicants come from the states.

I've heard it's true that most Canadian programs have fewer spots open for international students on account of the fact that international students are charged higher tuition and are, therefore, more difficult to fund. However, unlike most Canadian programs, I believe U of T charges nearly the same tuition to both domestic and international students, precisely so that they can more readily attract and fund international talent. Of course, there could be other factors at play here that I am ignorant of. I won't pretend to have much of an understanding of how this mystifying process works. ?‍♂️

denied