LAKEHEAD 1-YEAR HBSW 2023

HBSW23

Hi all, just thought I should start a thread for those of us who applied to Lakehead's 1 year HBSW program for 2023 (if there isn't one already)! Very nervous about my application - can't believe we have to wait a couple more months to find out the results! Wishing everyone the best of luck! x

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, 23PSYL said:

Yes, very nervous. The exam required quite a bit of knowledge on the profession in my opinion and was very open to interpretation; hopefully everyone did well. I believe we hear in the beginning of April? Fingers crossed!

Hi, there! Yes, I wasn't expecting it to be mainly situational questions... I don't believe I hit the 2-page mark for these questions because there's only so much I could say/discuss. 

Which campus did you apply to/are hoping to get into? :)

Also, I think we hear back around that time in April, yes!

Edited by HBSW23

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 11:59 AM, hannahb1997 said:

Wow you guys heard back early this year! Congratulations! 

I'm currently in the program if you guys have any questions about it :)

Hi Hannah,

I'm curious how you found the summer courses to be. It is class Mon-Fri from 8:30-4:30 right, and homework on top of that or is it mainly coursework during class time? I am just thinking about whether I will have time to work during summer courses or not, or if I will be slammed with homework each night/weekend.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:46 PM, 23PSYL said:

Hi Hannah,

I'm curious how you found the summer courses to be. It is class Mon-Fri from 8:30-4:30 right, and homework on top of that or is it mainly coursework during class time? I am just thinking about whether I will have time to work during summer courses or not, or if I will be slammed with homework each night/weekend.

The summer courses are definitely intense. Most of class time was dedicated to lectures and lessons, and occasionally (depending on the professor) we may have time to work on projects during class time. Expect to be spending most nights and weekends doing projects, classwork, and catching up.  However! It's so so important, especially over the summer, that your cohort plans fun activities to do together. We planned activities to help get to know each other and celebrate being done courses. While the program is intense, you really come out of it with life long friends. :)

Some people worked during the summer- and some people left their jobs because it was just too much to be doing all at once. I personally wouldn't recommend working during the summer if you don't have to, I had a remote job during part of the time and even that was really difficult to manage. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! The program is tough and there were definitely some bumps in the road, but overall it was definitely worth it to streamline the experience of getting a BSW and makes it easier in the longrun to apply to MSW's if thats part of your goal. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the information about the summer time. I guess I'll see how much I can manage to work as a casual. I do have another question: do you know approximately how much tuition is for the total 1 year (including all terms). I'm guessing close to $11,000? Trying to figure out finances here lol but I can't seem to find any accurate estimate from Lakehead's website.

• 11 months later...
On 4/7/2023 at 11:19 AM, 23PSYL said:

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for the information about the summer time. I guess I'll see how much I can manage to work as a casual. I do have another question: do you know approximately how much tuition is for the total 1 year (including all terms). I'm guessing close to $11,000? Trying to figure out finances here lol but I can't seem to find any accurate estimate from Lakehead's website.

Hi there, 

Just wondering if you ever found the answer to this? In the same boat this year lol

On 4/3/2024 at 6:02 PM, AspiringMSW1234 said:

Hi there, 

Just wondering if you ever found the answer to this? In the same boat this year lol

My statement of account by the end of the 1-year was ~ $15,000. I'm not sure where that amount come from, but I remember summer semester was almost 4k, and regular fall-winter tuition probably 7k.

1 hour ago, 23PSYL said:

My statement of account by the end of the 1-year was ~ $15,000. I'm not sure where that amount come from, but I remember summer semester was almost 4k, and regular fall-winter tuition probably 7k.

Wow. Thank you for your response! :) Did you enjoy the program?