What are my chances for admission?

javatime

Hi All!

I am looking to apply to IR grad programs this fall with my top choices being MALD, MSFS, SAIS and the Fletcher School, I would probably apply to SIS and Korbel as safety programs. I want to focus on political development and democracy building, particularly in post-conflict countries if anyone knows of other programs that would be good for that. Do I have any chance of getting in with the below credentials?

GWU: International Affairs- concentrations in Asia and Conflict & Security, 3.52 GPA

GRE: 640 V / 710 Q / 4.5 AW

Experience:

• Going on two years volunteering at local development NGOs in Indonesia
  • Internships: US State Dept, US Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe, Congressional office
  • Research Assistant: American Foreign Policy Council, and for a consultant on security issues in Asia
  • Study Abroad: Kyoto University Fall 2007 - Spring 2008
  • Resident Advisor
  • On campus jobs for three years

Languages: proficiency in Indonesian and intermediate in Japanese

Does it look like I could get into these programs now? I was also debating about going back to DC and working for another year so that my work experience can make up for the low GPA and I can save some money but that doesn't seem like an easy option with the current job situation...

Thanks everyone!

You should certainly be accepted to at least some of these schools unless you write horrible essays. It would be great if ur GRE scores were better, but I do not think that schools will reject you if you can write something meaningful about your experiences and your desires to change reality in post-conflict countries. Good luck to you!

Your academic and work credentials look fine, you should be competitive for a lot of those programs. The main thing I would try to fix is that AWA score, 4.5 is not low, but might raise some eyebrows. If you retake and do a little more preparation for this section, you should be able to get a 5 or 6. Then again a lot of admissions don't put a high priority on this. Your verbal and quant are fine.

Otherwise just concentrate on good essays, those can take a lot of work.