I GOT INTO MY TOP PHD PROGRAM!!

kwalampur

I just got an email of acceptance from the University of Michigan Joint PhD Program in Social Work and Sociology! This was the school I was least confident I would be accepted into since it’s the top program in my field! I am in shock and crying. I have spent so much time (and money)on higher education, despite my family failing to understand my research. the best advice I heard from a faculty member was to stop feeling guilty for education. As a first generation student who immigrated to the US, I have felt so much guilt choosing to get my BA and MA instead of getting a job and helping out my family. I have struggled with my family’s disappointment for years. But today, I am so proud. I am slowly letting go of the guilt.

Congratulations! That's huge, and I can relate to so much of what you've experienced on your path to getting here. It's so tough to have families who don't always try to understand what and why we're pursuing what we're after, especially in cases where it feel like they may not even be trying that hard to do so.

UMich is lucky to have you! I applied to their joint program in public policy and sociology, so if some magic happens and they let me in, maybe we'll end up crossing paths on the sociology end of things!

On 2/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, kwalampur said:

I just got an email of acceptance from the University of Michigan Joint PhD Program in Social Work and Sociology! This was the school I was least confident I would be accepted into since it’s the top program in my field! I am in shock and crying. I have spent so much time (and money)on higher education, despite my family failing to understand my research. the best advice I heard from a faculty member was to stop feeling guilty for education. As a first generation student who immigrated to the US, I have felt so much guilt choosing to get my BA and MA instead of getting a job and helping out my family. I have struggled with my family’s disappointment for years. But today, I am so proud. I am slowly letting go of the guilt. https://routerlogin.uno/

I got this,..