Top PhD Composition & Rhetoric Programs 2023

I've heard really good things about UT-Austin and University of Michigan. It also seems like Iowa and Penn State are strong contenders (although that's speculation based on faculty that I've talked to). I agree that it's really hard to judge especially since a lot of rhet programs are housed within literature departments! 

Not a fan of this thread which reeks of American elitism. Everyone always knows what the good programs are. This will only make people feel insecure about their university, and what universities are possible for people are overwhelmingly determined by very predictable questions of access to resources etc.

18 hours ago, johnokeefe said:

Not a fan of this thread which reeks of American elitism. Everyone always knows what the good programs are. This will only make people feel insecure about their university, and what universities are possible for people are overwhelmingly determined by very predictable questions of access to resources etc.

I beg to differ. It's pretty difficult to figure out which PhD Programs in comp/rhet have great mentorship, happy grad students, and are thought of as strong in the field. The "American Elitist" rankings are almost always for entire english departments, which includes other subdisciplines, making it very difficult to find out where comp/rhet programs sit. I'm not looking for ivy leagues or quantitative stats I can look up, especially since I know there are great comp/rhet programs at smaller/less "prestigious" schools. Just wondering what current people in the field feel are some of the strongest options (in terms of mentorship, scholars to work with, etc).