GPA

will415

Hi,

I graduated with a sub-3 undergraduate GPA, and though I have taken and subsequently aced six classes since graduating my GPA remains sub-3. I am just wondering what this means for programs who list a minimum GPA requirement of 3. How likely is it that I overcome this with a solid GRE score, references, and personal statement ?

Thanks,

Will

Hard to say. What are you applying for? Some posters here might be able to tell you how the selection process at certain schools goes.

Do you have any research experience? Publications? Most people applying to grad school will have some deficiency or other, and they are not usually fatal when taken by themselves. In your case, since there might be a minimum GPA requirement that will mean that you application will not even be read, I'd recommend several strategies to improve your chances of acceptance.

1. Contact potential advisors ahead of time. If you manage to make a connection, they might look for your application when the admissions committee meets (if they are on it) or inquire about your status (otherwise).

2. Apply to more schools, specifically ones that get less applicants or ones that do not specify a GPA cutoff. Your application is likelier to be read at those schools. Once it is read, the parts that will get you accepted are the SOP, LORs, WS -- your grades will matter significantly less.

3. Contact the DGS at schools you want to apply to; ask whether they have a cutoff that will get your application thrown out automatically (save you the pain and costs). Ask whether your having successfully taken more classes which are not on your record will help your cause and if so, make sure you know how to mention them in a way that will get noticed.

4. Make sure the rest of your application rocks.

OK thanks for the tips. I do have research experience and publications. I guess I need to make a list of the programs I'm serious about and find out if they have an intransigent GPA cutoff. Also, I'm unclear on what some of these acronyms stand for. I have LOR, but am iffy on SOP, WS and DGS.

EDIT: OK I have SOP and WS but still need DGS.

Edited by will415

OK thanks for the tips. I do have research experience and publications. I guess I need to make a list of the programs I'm serious about and find out if they have an intransigent GPA cutoff. Also, I'm unclear on what some of these acronyms stand for. I have LOR, but am iffy on SOP, WS and DGS.

DGS = director of graduate studies (generally the title of the person in charge of graduate student stuff within a department).

Sorry, I shouldn't use that many acronyms this early in the application season :)

For the record,

SOP - Statement of Purpose

WS - Writing Sample

LOR - Letter of Recommendation

DGS - Director of Graduate Studies

There are a bunch of us here that have or know people who have a sub-3.0 GPA that got into good programs. I personally know someone with a 2.94 undergrad GPA who is now in his 3rd year for PhD at CMU. I was accepted into a top 20 school with my sub-3.0 GPA when I applied though I wish it was more like top 10.