I am planning to write a research paper, recommand where to publish

lifeistolearn

Hello, this is my first posting,

and I am sad that my posting is not sharing my knowledge but asking a question! :(

well,

My question is, I am planning to write a research paper related Computer Science topics.

can you guys recommand any publications where I can publish and how hard it is to publish journals there?

I recently graduated wit C.S BS.

Thank you!

This entirely depends on what topic you are publishing in. Computer Science is a very broad, interdisciplinary field, so there are literally hundreds of publication venues.

One thing that is different from most other fields (eg. physics, chemistry, biology) is that the most widely read publications in computer science are actually conference proceedings. Journal papers are more for archival purposes and completed work.

That said, you need to pick out a conference in the subtopic that you wish to submit to. For example, I do web data mining, so I typically submit to: WWW, CIKM, WSDM, SIGKDD -- these conferences are pretty well spread throughout the year so no matter when I finish my work I can submit within a reasonable time frame.

If you are in Databases: SIGMOD, VLDB, ICDE

Data Mining: SIGKDD, PKDD, SDM, PAKDD, ICDM

Information Retrieval: SIGIR, CIKM

Artificial Intelligence: AAAI/IJCAI, UAI, GECCO

Machine Learning: ICML, AAAI/IJCAI

Natural Language Processing: ACL, NAACL, EMNLP

Social Networks: SIGKDD, ICWSM, WWW

and so on...

Look at the venues that your most cited references are from and consider publishing in those venues. If you read the papers from those venues then it is likely that the interested people will read your paper.

The hard part isn't picking the conference, the hard part is being accepted. A reputable conference will not have an acceptance rate higher than 30% (ICDM has 6-7% acceptance rate, and I hear SIGGraph is similar)

Good luck!

Weninger. Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your tips and information you provided on my posting!

I will be finish taking GRE by end of this year.

After that, I am not sure if I need to get a job and work related Comp Sci or write a research paper for applying Master next year. Which one would be better for me to boost up my acceptance rate? As of right now, I really want to do researches. That's just me though. First, I need to find out what I need to do to secure my application for graduate school. I can do researches after I get into my dream school, you know :)

Thank you,Weninger! Have a nice day!

This entirely depends on what topic you are publishing in. Computer Science is a very broad,

Good luck!

...I am not sure if I need to get a job and work related Comp Sci or write a research paper for applying Master next year. Which one would be better for me to boost up my acceptance rate?

This is an easy answer: do research. Graduate school is all about cultivating young researchers. If you can prove your research aptitude then you have a far better chance at getting into your "dream" school.

I, for one, would take a student who is first author on a publication in a highly reputed conference than a 4.0 GPA with 1600 GRE.

There is a problem with this though... the risk/reward ratio for research is much higher than a job. For example, if you are hired for a job at a company for, say, the summer, then that job goes on your resume and you get credit. On the other hand, if you spend a summer performing some research and it gets rejected (like the vast majority) then you've nothing to put on the resume besides "paper submitted".

That said, I think I would still rather take the student who has "paper submitted" than the student who had an internship, because, like I said, research aptitude is the most important part of graduate school, and, therefore, anything you can do to demonstrate that aptitude will help your admissions probability.

Good luck!

Tim Weninger

weninger, I came across a symposium in my field that is accepting abstracts for next year and was wondering if publishing at a symposium lends the same 'weight' as publishing at a conference. Also, of what value is publishing position papers?

Thanks for any help you may give!

Thank you, sir.

;) You are the best computer scientist!

P.S Have you guys read this interview script, "You and Your Research" by Richard Hamming?

Since I asked a question here, I want to share something with you guys!

It's a good one to read if you are interested in my area.

Here's the link!

pages.cs.wisc.edu/~markhill/hamming_86_03_07.pdf

I agree, I missed NIPS for AI. -- These were off the top of my head, which is why I didn't list any Systems or Theory conferences :)

As for weights: conferences are typically more highly regarded than workshops and symposiums. But this is not always the case; for example, the WebDB Workshop is a very highly regarded workshop and I would send a paper there before many other database conferences.

It all depends on your specific field. The general rule is that you want to have your work read by as many people as possible. Ergo, try to find the venue that is most read in your area.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Where to publish research paper

You can submit your research paper to IEEE or springer , or you can find various jouranls on google where you can publish your research paper.

Here is one which i found while googling

www.ijser.org

Using online submission you can submit your research paper. If selected after review process then it will be published.

Best of Luck !

Hello, this is my first posting,

and I am sad that my posting is not sharing my knowledge but asking a question! :(

well,

My question is, I am planning to write a research paper related Computer Science topics.

can you guys recommand any publications where I can publish and how hard it is to publish journals there?

I recently graduated wit C.S BS.

Thank you!

I have one more question to ask...

Recently, I really started having interests on the ideas of augmented reality.

Do you guys think this topic is suitable for a research paper?

If so, what part of computer science is the augmented reality? Is it in computer vision?

I am trying to find some information about it but no luck.

I have one more question to ask...

Recently, I really started having interests on the ideas of augmented reality.

Do you guys think this topic is suitable for a research paper?

If so, what part of computer science is the augmented reality? Is it in computer vision?

I am trying to find some information about it but no luck.

I sat in on a HCI class that goes into talking about augmented reality.

lifeistolearn, I would guess that it fits in in computer vision as well as HCI, possibly ML and AI as well. As for whether its a suitable topic for research - it would be too broad a topic. What you can do is read papers in about the topic and pick a narrow area or areas that intrigue you and pursue that.

lifeistolearn, I would guess that it fits in in computer vision as well as HCI, possibly ML and AI as well. As for whether its a suitable topic for research - it would be too broad a topic. What you can do is read papers in about the topic and pick a narrow area or areas that intrigue you and pursue that.

Yes, I agree. The topic sounds too broad. I will do what you mentioned earlier!.

Thank you, Newms!

The goal here, reiterating my point from earlier, is that research publications are meant for an audience. It is often the case that researchers will write papers to venues they believe they can be accepted, and thats fine; I think that its best if you submit your papers where interested people will read them. These two often go hand-in-hand -- but not always.

If you read the related work, which I assume you did otherwise you'd have no business writing a research paper, it follows that people of similar interests will read the same venues. Therefore, succinctly, you should submit to the venue where the majority of the related work appears.

Good luck!

Edited by weninger