Teachers College at Columbia

tesolin4languages

Any1 accepted? Id love to get in touch with you guys.

Ill be doing Masters in TESOL and plan to open a company nationally and internationally as well.

Any1 in TESOL or in TC in general?

Take care!

I am currently at TC. This is my first semester there. I am in the MA in Music and Music Education program.

I am currently at TC. This is my first semester there. I am in the MA in Music and Music Education program.

Cool! How's life up there in NYC? I'll be transferring from FL and I think it's going to be rough.

Columbia has a great reputation. I'd like to know if it lives up to that reputation via quality in instruction or is it tough busy work, when it comes to your major and others you've heard.

I am also accepted in NYU and SUNY so I'm rather scared with the workload.

Of course, I will be doing TESOL Masters. I hope I am not swamped with busy work, instead, I'd love interesting great classes.

Am I setting myself up for long nights studying, or how is it? It's my first time in a school like this!

Thanks

TESOLin4languages

I love New York City. It had been my plan to move here since I was 16. Even though I only started at TC this past fall I have been in New York for over a year now. I actually moved here after 2 years living in Florida (Cape Coral) but I am originally from Minnesota so I was quite prepared for the winter weather.

I love both Teachers College and Columbia. So far my experience has been fantastic. Workload is difficult to speak to because it varies from program to program. Personally I have found my workload intense but manageable. I am attending part-time (11 credits) as I teach full-time during the day so I have to be diligent about staying on top of the work because if I ease up it can be easy to fall behind. I'd say it's very worth it, however. It's only been a month but I have already made huge networking connections. I've also met some brilliant colleagues and I work with some the top scholars in my field. The access to resources via Columbia is invaluable. The key is to take the time to explore them and utilize them. I am currently cross-registered in a class at the law school.

Cool! How's life up there in NYC? I'll be transferring from FL and I think it's going to be rough.

Columbia has a great reputation. I'd like to know if it lives up to that reputation via quality in instruction or is it tough busy work, when it comes to your major and others you've heard.

I am also accepted in NYU and SUNY so I'm rather scared with the workload.

Of course, I will be doing TESOL Masters. I hope I am not swamped with busy work, instead, I'd love interesting great classes.

Am I setting myself up for long nights studying, or how is it? It's my first time in a school like this!

Thanks

TESOLin4languages

@Colleen:

Wow that sounds great! Thanks for answering my question!

I am latin and while I have lived in France, I am still not sure about the weather lol.........

I am most concerned with the fact that I am going to need financial aid. I have been talking to TC over the phone incessantly and they keep bouncing me around from department to department under the claim that one department knows the answers better than another.

Do you (or other readers in this post) have financial aid?

My father once received a waive of tuition back in his youth. That means he paid NOTHING for his school - it was simply waived. I am not sure what to do with financial aid. I know they say it's too early to even consider applying. But Im a guy that needs to plan EVERYTHING out to avoid an accident.

Some people tell me that waivers of tuition don't exist.

Can you guys give me ideas or what did you guys do for financial aid?

I have been told to go to the FAFSA website. But I have also been told that the FAFSA just looks at your record, social, criminal background etc. So how would they choose person x over me, for example? They don't care about gpa, nor who I am.

I am very confused.

Can any1 help?

Oh, and the original questions, for others that want to join in the chat, is still valid!

Thanks guys!

Tesolin4languages

I receive some financial aid, but not a ton. TC is notorious for not having much aid to offer students. About half of my tuition is covered by a variety of scholarships that I received from TC. The rest is covered by federal loans.

The first step in getting aid is filling out the FAFSA. The FAFSA determines if you qualify for need-based aid (based primarily on your income and assets) including federal grants and federal loans. Once you apply to TC you would then also fill out a scholarship application through Teachers College and that information would be used to determine if you are eligible for any need-based or merit-based grants and scholarships through the university.

@Colleen:

Wow that sounds great! Thanks for answering my question!

I am latin and while I have lived in France, I am still not sure about the weather lol.........

I am most concerned with the fact that I am going to need financial aid. I have been talking to TC over the phone incessantly and they keep bouncing me around from department to department under the claim that one department knows the answers better than another.

Do you (or other readers in this post) have financial aid?

My father once received a waive of tuition back in his youth. That means he paid NOTHING for his school - it was simply waived. I am not sure what to do with financial aid. I know they say it's too early to even consider applying. But Im a guy that needs to plan EVERYTHING out to avoid an accident.

Some people tell me that waivers of tuition don't exist.

Can you guys give me ideas or what did you guys do for financial aid?

I have been told to go to the FAFSA website. But I have also been told that the FAFSA just looks at your record, social, criminal background etc. So how would they choose person x over me, for example? They don't care about gpa, nor who I am.

I am very confused.

Can any1 help?

Oh, and the original questions, for others that want to join in the chat, is still valid!

Thanks guys!

Tesolin4languages

Thanks Colleen . That will certainly be of great help. Thanks so much!!!

What about living in NYC? I heard that you just have to find a good deal. How is it? (I've only stayed at hotels). Is brooklyn too far? What have you heard is good or what do you recommend?

Thanks Collen!!!

Any1 else in TC?

I receive some financial aid, but not a ton. TC is notorious for not having much aid to offer students. About half of my tuition is covered by a variety of scholarships that I received from TC. The rest is covered by federal loans.

The first step in getting aid is filling out the FAFSA. The FAFSA determines if you qualify for need-based aid (based primarily on your income and assets) including federal grants and federal loans. Once you apply to TC you would then also fill out a scholarship application through Teachers College and that information would be used to determine if you are eligible for any need-based or merit-based grants and scholarships through the university.

It really depends on how far you're willing to commute. The closest areas of Brooklyn tend to be almost as expensive as living in Manhattan proper. The commute from those areas to TC is about 30 minutes. If you move into the far reaches of Brooklyn you'll find that rent is much cheaper but that your commute can be an hour (and sometimes more) just one way. For some people that is not a big deal, for others it is a big inconvenience. I personally live across to street from TC in a private building not owned by Columbia. I pay $1300/month for a small studio. It's small, but I live alone and I am rarely home anyway so it works perfectly for me. I am willing to pay more for that awesome location. I used to live in Harlem which is generally quite a bit cheaper. A lot of TC and Columbia students choose that option. Some people are at first a bit wary of living in Harlem but Harlem has cleaned up a lot since the 80s and 90s. Most areas of the neighborhood are very safe and well maintained. Other areas to check out are Inwood and Washington Heights, both in the northern parts of Manhattan. You can find a pretty good value for your money there. If you're planning on attending TC on a full-time basis, I would strongly recommend roommates. That will lower your portion of the rent substantially.

I recommend checking out craigslist regularly for a few months before you plan to move. It will give you an idea of what the rents are in various neighborhoods and how much space you can get for your money.

Thanks Colleen . That will certainly be of great help. Thanks so much!!!

What about living in NYC? I heard that you just have to find a good deal. How is it? (I've only stayed at hotels). Is brooklyn too far? What have you heard is good or what do you recommend?

Thanks Collen!!!

Any1 else in TC?

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

Sorry to jump in with a different question. I'm considering applying to an EdD or EdDCT in Music/Music Ed, and don't know which one to choose. Do you have an idea of which kind of candidates apply to each one? Do you know anyone who's in the doctorate program and could give me some insight? The deadline is Jan 2, all offices are closed and I'm not sure which is the route to go. Thanks much!

Hi there,

Sorry to jump in with a different question. I'm considering applying to an EdD or EdDCT in Music/Music Ed, and don't know which one to choose. Do you have an idea of which kind of candidates apply to each one? Do you know anyone who's in the doctorate program and could give me some insight? The deadline is Jan 2, all offices are closed and I'm not sure which is the route to go. Thanks much!

EdDCT is for students interested in the pedagogy of college teaching and research in that field. The EdD program is more general in that it can be tailored to fit interests in a variety of research areas. If teaching performance skills in a higher education setting is your main interest, go with the EdDCT. Otherwise apply to the EdD program.

I would be hard pressed to generalize the doctoral candidates. There doesn't seem to be any specific "type" that applies to either program.

I will PM you the e-mail address of a doctoral student that has been in the program for a while. No guarantees that he will get back to you before the application deadline. Since it's vacation a lot of people are not checking school e-mail with regularity.

• 3 months later...

Hey! Does anyone know anything about the Speech language pathology program? I am leaning towards attending TC in the fall, but I will be visiting it this coming week ( I am so exctied). It is btw NYU and TC, if anyone has any info about any of the schools that would be great!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Can anyone give me info on how the tesol program is ? I feel like information is so sparse. :-( how does it compare to nyu? I hear Columbia gives out masters like candy. But how can it keep its reputation if that's true.? What's the bast way to find out this info? The one person who I know went to tc is being stubborn and not giving me info about the university, but he keeps saying "make sure you do your research" so frustrating. He did say though I should have no problem getting in.

• 3 months later...

Hey all, just giving this thread a bump also. I am interested in applying for the MA in TESOL @ Columbia. I would like to know if anyone took the summer course and if it took off 6 credits from the required 36 to receive the MA. I am also wondering what their requirements are for getting in, if you can share your anecdotes. Anything else that you could toss in about the program would be great.

Thanks

Chris