Did I just screw up?

euges429

The PhD coordinator from one of my top choices recently called me up and said I was #1 on their list, and that I should be receiving a formal offer in the mail soon.

That night, I e-mailed him, just wanting to thank him. But I mis-wrote. I wrote, "Of course, I am delighted to be ranked so highly by the admissions committee" (among other things). I meant to write, "Of course, I am HUMBLED to be ranked..." Among other things, I wrote things like, "Thank you so much for calling me in person to give me an update... I look forward to working with you and the rest of the faculty in the future."

I think I sounded a bit too arrogant when I used "delighted" instead of "humble" or another word, which wasn't what I wanted. Did I just screw up? Or would this not matter much, since it's not a "huge" mistake? I just pressed SEND a bit too quickly without double checking my error.

while I'm reading it, I don't think think it sounds like that big of an error. I think that delighted, is an accurate way to describe how anyone would feel when being accepted. I think if you had said something like "Of course, I expected to be so highly ranked.." or something along those lines, that would be more arrogant. So I wouldn't worry to much about it.

congrats on being #1 :-)

No, you didn't screw up...as Leesha says, "delighted" is a perfectly good way to express happiness at acceptance. :D

Humbled is perhaps a better word, but do these admissions secretaries really expect you to wax eloquent in a response just after receiving an exciting acceptance? Trust me, they're not going to withdraw their approval of your admission now.

I think you're suffering from a small case of applications mania, among whose sufferers I count myself:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13444

When a life-changing decision like this is taken completely out of our hands, it is perfectly normal to get a little (okay, extremely) anxious. We've all pressed the SEND button too soon. I panicked for weeks after I submitted an application because I couldn't remember if I had attached my personal statement or not.

Just take a deep breath and try to enjoy being accepted by one of your top choice schools!