PhD Transfer: Math-> CS

meathead

Hey Guys,

I'm currently a first year math graduate student at a top 10 university. I've always had an interest in CS, but I decided to major in pure mathematics as an undergraduate.

I would like to study algorithms, complexity theory, and cryptography. I'm only interested in attending MIT, Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford, or Princeton. I only took one CS class as an undergraduate, but I've studied advanced algorithms in some graduate number theory classes. I have also attended an international workshop in algorithmic number theory. Because the areas that I am interested are essentially mathematical, I feel like I should have a good chance of transferring, but I would like you to shatter my dreams, if you have to, and give me your honest appraisal of my stats.

Graduate:

First year PhD student at top 10 mathematics university.

Undergraduate:

Decent state school.

Graduated top of class summa cum laude with honors in mathematics

4.00 GPA Math and 3.955 overall (out of 4.0).

Departmental award for Research

Best Undergraduate Award

Honors:

NSF Graduate Research Fellowship for Mathematics

one year Research Grant at my current university.

Phi Beta Kappa, Elected Junior Year

Research:

One published paper in Commutative Algebra in Prestigious Journal (lead author)

One REU which did not lead any where research-wise (but I can make it sound like it did)

6 presentations at conferences and seminars around the US and in Europe

Workshops:

Participated in international workshop in algorithmic number theory

I did not take the CS GRE subject exam; these universities don't require it.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks!

Your case reminds me of Christopher Scaffidi who did his undergrad work in Math and Physics and then a masters in Physics, before deciding he wanted a PhD in Computer Science. He realized that he had to demonstrate competence in the CS syllabus so he studied for the CS GRE and scored in the 97th percentile. He subsequently got into CMU to do his PhD and is an assistant prof at Oregon State currently.

I'm not sure how easy it would be though to do a simple transfer from Math to CS. Remember that even though there is a lot of Math involved in CS, it is in many ways a different field, so you will probably have to show that you have the competence required in CS.

Yeah, it sounds like you have a very good application, but you probably need to demonstrate that you know the core CS material before you can start such a program. There is a lot that is important to know - if you still have a chance to take the subject GRE, it would be a good idea...

Your case reminds me of Christopher Scaffidi who did his undergrad work in Math and Physics and then a masters in Physics, before deciding he wanted a PhD in Computer Science. He realized that he had to demonstrate competence in the CS syllabus so he studied for the CS GRE and scored in the 97th percentile. He subsequently got into CMU to do his PhD and is an assistant prof at Oregon State currently.

I'm not sure how easy it would be though to do a simple transfer from Math to CS. Remember that even though there is a lot of Math involved in CS, it is in many ways a different field, so you will probably have to show that you have the competence required in CS.

He did work as a Software Developer for 6 years prior to going to CMU though. Then it looks like he started a MSE in Software Engineering at CMU first and completed that before doing his PhD there.

Edited by joro

He did work as a Software Developer for 6 years prior to going to CMU though. Then it looks like he started a MSE in Software Engineering at CMU first and completed that before doing his PhD there.

Ah, didn't know that he was a software developer for 6 years. I guess that explains why he wanted to switch. I think he got his MSE in the process of getting his PhD since according to his resume he was pursuing them simultaneously for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

I transitioned from Mathematics for Computer Science Ph.D. as some of my interests changed course.

Bulk up on Algorithms and Data Structures. Generally, there is some Proficiency Examination that attempts to evaluate your fundamental understanding of the subject matter before you are accepted to a department at the doctorate student level.

If you were in a Ph.D. Mathematics program then you most likely had to take this in Algebra, Analysis, Probability, etc. When I switched, I had to take one in the Computer Science department whereby the material covered was, C++ , Data Structures, Discrete Mathematics, and Operating Systems. Good luck, it looks as though you can make the transition seamlessly ...