Good programs for Critical Theory? (PhD)

Phenomenologist

This is a cross-post from the "who_got_in" livejournal forums, but I thought this community might have additional insight to share =).

What are some good PhD programs in philosophy if I want to do critical theory and cultural criticism (social-theory-esque?)? I have in mind something like the work that Terry Eagleton does, but less literature-based and more social/political-theory based. Particularly with a Continental and Marxist flavour, and such figures as Foucault and such.

Any thoughts or tips?

Hey! Our interests are pretty similar. I'm applying to French Ph.D programs which are very theoretical. If you'd prefer to study Critical Theory in English, I would recommend Rhetoric at Berkeley and Modern Thought and Literature at Stanford. I know that at Berkeley there are minor fields (called "designated emphases") one of which is in Critical Theory. Judith Butler teaches both Rhetoric and Critical Theory! I'm not applying to either of those programs, but I am applying to Berkeley's French department, with the Critical Theory minor in mind. I can't guarantee that my suggestions emphasize social theory more than literary criticism, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. English and Comp Lit departments tend to have some theory-minded faculty, as do French and German departments. Sometimes sociology, anthropology and other social science departments have critical theorists. You posted in Philosophy, huh... Where I went to undergrad, the philosophy department (while one of the top 5) was woefully analytic... At other philosophy departments, sometimes there are professors who focus on contemporary philosophy, continental philosophy, the Frankfurt school, etc. I'd say you have a handful of options. I would check out departments in the fields I've listed looking closely at the professors' interests and the courses offered. Also look at minor fields. I hope my suggestions are helpful. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey! Our interests are pretty similar. I'm applying to French Ph.D programs which are very theoretical. If you'd prefer to study Critical Theory in English, I would recommend Rhetoric at Berkeley and Modern Thought and Literature at Stanford. I know that at Berkeley there are minor fields (called "designated emphases") one of which is in Critical Theory. Judith Butler teaches both Rhetoric and Critical Theory! I'm not applying to either of those programs, but I am applying to Berkeley's French department, with the Critical Theory minor in mind. I can't guarantee that my suggestions emphasize social theory more than literary criticism, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. English and Comp Lit departments tend to have some theory-minded faculty, as do French and German departments. Sometimes sociology, anthropology and other social science departments have critical theorists. You posted in Philosophy, huh... Where I went to undergrad, the philosophy department (while one of the top 5) was woefully analytic... At other philosophy departments, sometimes there are professors who focus on contemporary philosophy, continental philosophy, the Frankfurt school, etc. I'd say you have a handful of options. I would check out departments in the fields I've listed looking closely at the professors' interests and the courses offered. Also look at minor fields. I hope my suggestions are helpful. Good luck!

Just thought I would point out that word on the street has been that Butler and Brown are going to Columbia permanently - I know that they announced a 1 year "Guest professorship" for Butler, but I've heard that Berkeley's theory and rhetoric has been raided big time in the last year.

Yeah I got wind of this, too, but the OP hadn't responded so it didn't occur to me to come back here and update my comment.

Here's the article I read which has some more details: http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/culture/2010/11/760690/professor-trouble-post-structuralist-star-judith-butler-headed-columb

Berkeley still has some amazing scholars, so my recommendation still stands. I must admit, I'm excited that she'll be at one of the grad schools I'm considering (even if it is in a different department).