Thoughts on career prospects?

For someone potentially interested in going into public sector consulting or working as an aide on the hill...

Georgetown PPI MPP (two years)

Columbia SIPA MPA (two years)

Syracuse Maxwell JD/MPA (three years)

Also go into, but am not as strongly considering b/c of geographical issues...

UChicago Harris MPP

CMU Heinz MSPPM

Waiting on...

KSG

Any insights on the career services situations at the above schools (first 3 in particular) would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,

I have been accepted into mpp/GTown, MPA/USC(12,000/yr tw), MSPPM/CMU(6000/sem scho)

I don't know how to choose.

Any suggestion? I am an international student so I am looking for the info on the employment and intern situation about non- US

Thanks~

congrats on your acceptances to all of those places...from what i know they're all good schools.

a lot of where you end up going should depend on where you plan to work. i've spoken with some people at usc, and it seems for the mpa program, many students end up working the los angeles area. (this isn't to say that others don't find work elsewhere.) but also, usc has the "international labs" that might provide a nice opportunity to get non US consulting (?) experience. usc's sppd website is really helpful with these sorts of things. i think they also have an ambassador's program of the sort where you could talk with a student representative.

as for gtown and cmu, i'm not sure about those programs (sorry...).

i know it's not a ton of information, but i hope it helps?

congrats on your acceptances to all of those places...from what i know they're all good schools.

a lot of where you end up going should depend on where you plan to work. i've spoken with some people at usc, and it seems for the mpa program, many students end up working the los angeles area. (this isn't to say that others don't find work elsewhere.) but also, usc has the "international labs" that might provide a nice opportunity to get non US consulting (?) experience. usc's sppd website is really helpful with these sorts of things. i think they also have an ambassador's program of the sort where you could talk with a student representative.

as for gtown and cmu, i'm not sure about those programs (sorry...).

i know it's not a ton of information, but i hope it helps?

Thank you very much :D

before I knew the results from USC and CMU, GTOWN is undoubtly my first choice. it's famous, and I think this may be helpful in my future career life. but you know the expensise is quite a lot there and it is a burden for me actually. and I really wonder if I can get a good-paid job after graduation, since the DC area is quite competitive especially for international students...

For CMU, I always know that this university is quite famous in IT... So I am afrait it may be more appropriate for boys???? :D

I like LA and I guess it may be less competitive than the east...

Anyone knows the intern seminar in USC? Thanks~

Curious what your sources areregarding SIPA career services, if you don't mind. From everything I've learned, MPA grads from SIPA do better getting jobs than the MIA grads.

I don't know if that comparatively makes it better, especially relative to other schools. But in any case, I have a few friends at SIPA--both current students and graduates of the program. Some of them liken it to being an undergraduate at Cal (where I went)--the network is bigger w/Columbia, but you still gotta make your own contacts. I personally didn't even look at career services at schools for this reason, but maybe I'm just more skeptical of what career services can really do.