PhD/DrPH (Public Health) Fall 2024 - The Grad Cafe Forums

PHD-DRPH

1 hour ago, Mamitis said:

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's such a small number of people they accept. So they release the ones they definitely want to make offers to, give those people time to consider and respond, then put out the next group of offers based on the acceptances. I'd guess they have a ranked list.

What I don't quite understand is why they don't just put out their rejections of people they know they won't admit first. Other programs do this. If it's just a 100% no for whatever reason, send the rejection, and put people out of their misery. 

If we have to suffer, at least we suffer together. 

Same with Harvard like…I know I’m rejected pretty much but I just want to KNOW. I guess they’ll likely send rejections Friday so at least it’s not a long wait. 

2 hours ago, healthoutcomes said:

Adding to the list here but has anybody heard anything from UT Southwestern SPH, UAB, or Vanderbilt Epi?

I’m still waiting to hear back from UAB as well. 

4 hours ago, Mamitis said:

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's such a small number of people they accept. So they release the ones they definitely want to make offers to, give those people time to consider and respond, then put out the next group of offers based on the acceptances. I'd guess they have a ranked list.

What I don't quite understand is why they don't just put out their rejections of people they know they won't admit first. Other programs do this. If it's just a 100% no for whatever reason, send the rejection, and put people out of their misery. 

If we have to suffer, at least we suffer together. 

I think they don’t have a true set process. the DrPH specifically has been changed a lot since its inception. They also like having a diverse cohort of background interest. People reviewing may have different levels of availability and it honestly comes down to the personality type of the person who reviews. They advocate and that varies.

My advisor at Columbia used to sit on admissions at times for Epi said it was brutal, they divide the top 10 to each person and they have to bring that down to one and then advocate for their chosen person and sometimes they are voted out.

I think we can try to predict their process but might not be worth our energy. I agree It would be best if they just sent pure rejections first. 

18 hours ago, Public health grl said:

I think they don’t have a true set process. the DrPH specifically has been changed a lot since its inception. They also like having a diverse cohort of background interest. People reviewing may have different levels of availability and it honestly comes down to the personality type of the person who reviews. They advocate and that varies.

My advisor at Columbia used to sit on admissions at times for Epi said it was brutal, they divide the top 10 to each person and they have to bring that down to one and then advocate for their chosen person and sometimes they are voted out.

I think we can try to predict their process but might not be worth our energy. I agree It would be best if they just sent pure rejections first. 

I love this take. I have felt and said to my friends and loved ones many times through this process: No matter how good the resume and essays and references and interviews, the stars do need to align. It's just that competitive. 

44 minutes ago, Mamitis said:

I love this take. I have felt and said to my friends and loved ones many times through this process: No matter how good the resume and essays and references and interviews, the stars do need to align. It's just that competitive. 

I’ve been saying this to myself this whole time. It really just comes down to luck. 

On 2/16/2024 at 12:23 PM, JustinDee said:

Did anyone who got accepted to UCLA get a funding letter or other notification? I only received the acceptance from the grad division letter in my portal. 

I got into UCLA EHS. The funding came a day or two later

Saw some people got into UNC epi this morning - congrats!!

Does anyone know if the rest of us still waiting should still have any hope? Or is that likely the final batch of acceptances? Also wondering if acceptances all go out at the same day/time or over a few days for each batch... Anyone have any idea how it works? I feel like not knowing the process is giving me more anxiety than waiting for the decision because I don't know what to expect. 

On 2/15/2024 at 11:51 AM, DrPH2024 said:

Yeah I did not have much room for actual answers...

On 2/15/2024 at 11:22 AM, texaspublichealthgirl said:

You read my mind.. I am being creative :) Let's chat.

Are we the only three people who received 1st interview invitation from USF on this forum?

Edited by Squashplayer000

3 hours ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Been having brain fog for the last week. The same analyses id get so easily and implement I’m taking like double the time to do. I guess it’s the imposter syndrome from everything that’s making it this way

I have felt this too, ikigai. Someone wise once told me “Give yourself the patience and grace you would give a best friend.” I’m currently on my way to the spa with a book to just chill out. This process is incredibly trying on the mind, body, and soul, but you’re doing great. 

4 hours ago, Ikigai1896 said:

Been having brain fog for the last week. The same analyses id get so easily and implement I’m taking like double the time to do. I guess it’s the imposter syndrome from everything that’s making it this way

26 minutes ago, manifesthb said:

I have felt this too, ikigai. Someone wise once told me “Give yourself the patience and grace you would give a best friend.” I’m currently on my way to the spa with a book to just chill out. This process is incredibly trying on the mind, body, and soul, but you’re doing great. 

I felt the same way. I have also started distracting myself with spa and self-care activities. I also started to reframe my thinking. As much as I am dying to get into a program, I think there can be other positives to focus on when you take a step back. A PhD or DrPH does not directly guarantee success post-grad. There are still more hoops to jump through. I'm not saying that it doesn't matter; I'm just saying when we demystify reality, it may be easier to let go of the power it has and anxiety. Wishing everyone luck!

12 hours ago, MimiNMe said:

Who else thinks this is Harvard PHS rejection week? I think it’s looking mighty grim now that they’ve sent out acceptances and waitlist positions (and accidentally celebrated it on instagram). Gird your loins, comrades. Best of luck to everyone!

Is this confirmed?

And is this for DrPH/PhD or both?

Hi all! Congrats to those who has been accepted! I applied Harvard PHS GHP track and did an interview, but have not heard anything up until this point. I saw that people have been posting about acceptances and waitlists, is this the point to accept that I am getting a rejection? Just want to prepare myself as this is the only program I applied to...

12 minutes ago, kimkkkk said:

Hi all! Congrats to those who has been accepted! I applied Harvard PHS GHP track and did an interview, but have not heard anything up until this point. I saw that people have been posting about acceptances and waitlists, is this the point to accept that I am getting a rejection? Just want to prepare myself as this is the only program I applied to...

We should know Friday.