Low AW for phd in Eng Lit?

tildeath1luv

Hi all,

I'm an international student considering applying to a phd program in Eng literature for fall 2011.

I just took the general GRE last month and got V690 and Q720.

The problem is that my AW is only 4.0.

I'm worried that it will seriously hurt my application since I'm applying for a phd program in English Literature.

It's probably too late to retake the general GRE and I have the subject GRE coming up next month.

Should I focus on writing samples and SOP and continue with the scores that I have now or delay my applications

and shoot for next year? (after retaking the general GRE later on)

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm an international student considering applying to a phd program in Eng literature for fall 2011.

I'm worried that it will seriously hurt my application since I'm applying for a phd program in English Literature.

It's probably too late to retake the general GRE and I have the subject GRE coming up next month.

Should I focus on writing samples and SOP and continue with the scores that I have now or delay my applications

Thanks

Your scores are not too bad. You can apply this year anyway, may be you will get in. I think if you have a good writing sample and SOP and other parts of your application are fine, your chances are OK. It won't hurt to try this year, even if you will have to apply again next one. IMHO :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks

Your scores are good and no one cares about the AWA score. Do NOT worry. I can almost guarantee that if you are rejected it will not be because you got a 4.0. It's about average, isn't it? Meanwhile your verbal is somewhere between 96-97th percentile, according to this year's score chart. If you are a good writer, your adcom will know by your sample.