How accurate are Kaplan GRE Practice Tests?

indorichai

Hi I've been studying heavily for the GRE using a Kaplan book. I have taken 3 of their tests (one that's in their book and two computer-based). I have had varying scores from 310 verbal to 550 verbal and 600 Q to 720. This really worries me because I need an above average score to get into a decent grad school for Education. I have a low GPA (2.51), so I want my GRE score to be something that will boost my grad school application. Is there anyone else that studied from the Kaplan book?

I do not want to worry you but I thought the Kaplan tests were easier than the real one. It was maybe because of the stress, maybe because the book made me practice similar questions that came up in their test. However, I think the actual test varies quite a bit, so it may be worth retaking if you did not get the desired points. In any case your verbal practice points seem to be too low with the low gpa. just study those 500-3000 words and you will be much much better!

Thanks. I'm really nervous about the verbal part :( I memorized all the words in the Kaplan book but yet I still do poorly. Today I took another practice test and scored 1170 (690 Q; 480 V). *sigh*

I thought the official ETS practice tests were pretty accurate, though you will probably score a little lower due to fatigue. Don't discount the additional fatigue due to an additional experimental section, especially if it is unidentified.

Hi,

Check thru the back posts in the last 6 months or so.

You'll find that almost everyone finds Kaplan's and Princeton Review's online test scores considerably LOWER than their scores on the real test.

The reason is, as we deduce (K and PR obviously would deny this), that they want to sell you books, and, if possible, recruit you into their test prep classes--or even better--scare you into enrolling in private tutoring sessions (cost up to $250/hr).

Buy the Barron's book (the big one, with the CD), for verbal, and the NOVA book for math. Do every problem in both of those books, and learn as many of the 3400 words as you can before you take the test.

If you STILL get a low score, you should consider a test-prep class. But even then, the classes are only useful if you're ready to put in the work, meaning, two to three hours every single day including weekends, until the test date. Otherwise you're wasting your money with a prep class, in my opinion.

John

I just took the test yesterday and scored a 1090 (460 V; 630 Q). I believe I've been dropped on my head too many times as a kid to prevent me from excelling in anything academic. Anyways, I'll try Barrons this time and take the test again in January.

Edited by indorichai

I just took the test yesterday and scored a 1090 (460 V; 630 Q). I believe I've been dropped on my head too many times as a kid to prevent me from excelling in anything academic. Anyways, I'll try Barrons this time and take the test again in January.

Chin up!

Depending on where you're applying and whether you're applying for an MA or PhD (where GRE score requirements are tougher), those scores might be OK if you have a superior academic record (GPA 3.7+) and great recommendations (from well known people).

If not -- the Barron's book has the most comprehensive vocabulary list I've seen -- you might also try reading -- A LOT that is -- 18th/19th century novels (Austen, the Brontes, Hawthorne, etc.) and or the modern authors Umberto Ecco, Vladimir Nabokov, William Faulkner, and William Safire, all of whom use very extensive vocabularies. And, if you can stand his politics (ultra-right-wing), the late William F. Buckley wrote columns in the magazine "The New Republic"; his vocabulary is really astonishing; you'll need a good dictionary, but learning new words in context is really easier than the memorize-via-flashcards method.

Good luck.

John

My GPA is actually really low (2.51) and I want to get a Masters in Education. I'm not looking to go to a top school by any means, just a decent one. My top choice is Florida State University and I want to have more options besides University of Pheonix (and I really don't plan on going to a scammer school). Anyways, I bought the Barron's book yesterday and a verbal workout book. I'll take you up on the reading and read as much as I can in the next two months!

Chin up!

Depending on where you're applying and whether you're applying for an MA or PhD (where GRE score requirements are tougher), those scores might be OK if you have a superior academic record (GPA 3.7+) and great recommendations (from well known people).

If not -- the Barron's book has the most comprehensive vocabulary list I've seen -- you might also try reading -- A LOT that is -- 18th/19th century novels (Austen, the Brontes, Hawthorne, etc.) and or the modern authors Umberto Ecco, Vladimir Nabokov, William Faulkner, and William Safire, all of whom use very extensive vocabularies. And, if you can stand his politics (ultra-right-wing), the late William F. Buckley wrote columns in the magazine "The New Republic"; his vocabulary is really astonishing; you'll need a good dictionary, but learning new words in context is really easier than the memorize-via-flashcards method.

Good luck.

John