importance of contacting potential advisors

Is it absolutely necessary to establish prior contact with a potential advisor? I am an international student and I really didn't know the importance of contacting profs until I read about it on thegradcafe, and by that time, all my applications (for PhD in English) had been sent in long ago.

I can see how it would be absolutely necessary in the sciences, since there you'd be working in such-and-such prof's lab, or be paid from the prof's grant funding, etc. But is it the same in the humanities? Does the fact that I didn't contact any potential advisors automatically mean I'll be disqualified?

I think I will have to reapply next year, so I'd really appreciate any advice on this issue.

the short answer is no. i didn't contact a single adviser at any of the schools i applied to, and still managed to get in at many of them.

however, as an international student it probably couldn't hurt -- especially to know how they deal with the paperwork and setting you up with funding, should they offer it. most american universities have an international office, and you might try to get in touch with them as well to see what the process will look like.

good luck! :wink:

Here's how I look at it: as long as you're polite and you don't pester people overmuch, it will never hurt to contact a potential advisor, and it could very well be helpful. Not only do you want someone fighting for you on the admissions committee, but the simple aspect of name recognition is normally quite helpful when dealing with professors. It's like I tell my undergrads -- if I know your name, if you visit my office hours, your grade is going to improve. Likewise, if the people you list as potential advisors on your statement of purpose know your name, and perhaps remember something about the details of your project, I think that will pay dividends if it comes down to a choice between you and someone who did not bother to contact them first.