Where are you in the process?

Another

I'm curious to know where you're at in the application process. Today is October 23rd and I only have 7 1/2 weeks until my first application is due.

So far I have:

• Settled on the schools I'm applying to: UC Berkeley, USC, VCU, Hunter, Yale
  • Written my artist statement.
  • Started on nearly all of the online applications.
  • Prepared roughly half of my portfolio documentation.
  • Gotten my first recommendation completed and submitted to all schools.
  • Made an appointment to discuss my work with my second reference.
  • Ordered unofficial copies of my transcripts (I'll need these to complete my applications).

On top of that, I've attended a portfolio review day, met with a career services counselor at SFAI (where I did my BFA), visited one of the schools on my list, and discussed my plans with as many people as possible (including some alumni from the schools I'm applying to). My biggest setback so far is that one of my recommenders rejected my request, so I need to come up with a good third reference. Deadlines are looming, and I feel like I still have a ton of work to do.

How about you?

I think you have done a lot.

I personally just started and I am kind of freaking out that I won't have enough time to complete everything.

What I've done:

1. Contacted my referees and requested references. They all agreed (thank God and thank them).

2. E-mailed professors in the schools I am applying to (some replied, some did not).

3. Took the GRE test.

4. Identified the schools I am applying to.

I actually have a question. You mentioned that one of your referees submitted all his letters already. I may have misunderstood this. Don't referees submit letters after we submit our applications? I thought the links are sent to them only after we submit the form? Perhaps, I am confusing this with the UK online application system.

I actually have a question. You mentioned that one of your referees submitted all his letters already. I may have misunderstood this. Don't referees submit letters after we submit our applications? I thought the links are sent to them only after we submit the form? Perhaps, I am confusing this with the UK online application system.

All I know is that I submitted his contact information and then I got emails from all the schools saying that they received his recommendation. As far as I can tell, it's fine to submit the recommendations early. For some programs it explicitly says that by notifying your recommenders you're locking in the degree and area of study that you're applying to. This is my first time applying, so I could be wrong about this stuff. If you're worried about it, you can always contact admissions departments to be sure.

Lordy, I feel like I am very behind you all. I haven't decided on what schools I'm applying to yet! Fortunately, I have contacted my references and they agreed, thankfully, although I don't think it should be too difficult for them since all they need to do is update the letters they wrote last year. I applied to 9 schools last year, got into one (which I subsequently decided wasn't the right place for me--great program, but I wasn't digging the location or the cost), got waitlisted at another (and never progressed from that position), and flat out rejected from 7 others. I aimed a bit high, applying to mostly top tier schools, which I think was my mistake. This year, I'm trying to let geography be a major factor in where I consider applying, and trying to do a bit more in-depth research about the programs, although I don't have much more time to do so... I've always wanted to spend some time in NYC or the West coast, and I figure, if there's ever a time to do that, why not during grad school? So I'm researching a lot of schools in those areas, and a few in the UK, where I would also love to be.

I didn't put too much work in to researching grad schools over the summer because I still wasn't sure whether I wanted to go through the whole app process again this year, or wait another year. I really like the work I've been making lately, and I got some positive feedback when I attended the Grad Portfolio Day at Parsons last weekend, so I recently decided I'd give it a go again this year, hence the sudden rush.

On top of the actual applications, I still have quite a bit more work to do for my portfolio. I'm going to try to make as many paintings as I can in the next month, as I am at a very transitional stage in my work and I would like to make more pieces that reflect where I am currently.

I've got my work cut out for me, that's for sure...