Creativity Ok in SoP?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it's acceptable/admirable to use creativity in the SoP? i.e. as a writer telling a story using "show don't tell," characterization, description, and dialogue with a punchline and development that fully explains what you want to do, why you chose the school, who attracted you to the program, etc...

I am applying to a creative writing program(s). Originally I wrote the piece as a prologue to my book so I've worked long and hard at it and the idea came to me to use the little anecdote (with slight revisions) as my Statement of Purpose.

Any thoughts? appreciated :)

Edited by ifwriterscouldtalk

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if it's acceptable/admirable to use creativity in the SoP? i.e. as a writer telling a story using "show don't tell," characterization, description, and dialogue with a punchline and development that fully explains what you want to do, why you chose the school, who attracted you to the program, etc...

I am applying to a creative writing program(s). Originally I wrote the piece as a prologue to my book so I've worked long and hard at it and the idea came to me to use the little anecdote (with slight revisions) as my Statement of Purpose.

I think your question is probably a little hard to answer for most of the posters here! I was going to jump in and say, NO, no creativity in the SOP, but for creative writing....yeah, I don't know. I would carefully look at the prompt for the program, and perhaps even email someone in the department about what they are looking for. I would imagine they also ask for some kind of writing sample, so that may be a more appropriate venue to show your creative side.

Hi everyone,

It's tricky in a way that you are applying to a creative writing program. But in my experience of working with about 3 tutors who helped me to write my SOP, I would say no. It was more about 30% why I am qualified and history, and 70% of what I'm interested in and going to do in my program. I love creativity in writing, so it was sad to see my hook go. And SOP has word limit, so fitting in everything will be hard so i will just go straight into the dry stuff. If you do decide to use it, I would keep it very short.