LOR from place where I volunteer

votanor

quick summary about me: applying to program in experimental psychology. I have 2 professors who will write me a letter but for the last one I don't have any other professors I feel comfortable asking. I volunteer once a week at a veteran's hospital, pouring them coffee, playing board games, things like that. I have been doing it for about a year and they know me pretty well. I was thinking of asking the lady who is in charge of the program for a LOR. I know what I do there isn't related to experimental psych in the least bit and barely related to psychology, it's more clinical psychology if anything. I think the supervisor might write me a letter saying that I'm a great guy and helpful and so on but it's not going to be about anything academic. she's a licensed social worker but that won't make a difference. of course I would prefer all three letters to be from sources familiar with my academic work but given that I don't really have a choice, does it look bad to send in a letter talking about your volunteer experience which has nothing to do with the program you are applying to? and more generally, I have read somewhere that volunteering and community service don't help on grad school apps as much as I thought, unless you are going for something related to that, like social work. anyone know something about this? thanks for your time.

Doubt it. You've taken plenty of coursework as an undergrad (and master's student if applicable), there has to be at least one professor who can vouch for you.

thanks for the advice. although - I wasn't the greatest student and I asked several of my old professors for letters, and a few told me they wouldn't be able to write me a strong letter. I do have 2 professors who I can ask that will write a good letter but the third letter is what I am worried about,.I went through a list all the professors I had and no more spring to mind. so between getting a mediocre letter from an academic source and a more positive statement from a non-academic one, it's a tough call.

Edited by yaronatov

Are you looking for a PhD? When you say you weren't the greatest student, do you mean that your GPA isn't competitive enough (minimum of 3.0)? My thinking is that maybe you should look into doing a master's program so you can prove yourself to be an excellent student who can get strong and solid LORs (as well as better GPA) and more experience.

Are you looking for a PhD? When you say you weren't the greatest student, do you mean that your GPA isn't competitive enough (minimum of 3.0)? My thinking is that maybe you should look into doing a master's program so you can prove yourself to be an excellent student who can get strong and solid LORs (as well as better GPA) and more experience.

no, going for a master's right now. gpa is 2.85. I showed improvement in the last 40 units and major gpa is a little higher - 3.3. I think I have a chance but it's definitely not as solid as I'd like.

Edited by yaronatov

I think you should think harder on how to spin your experience with the veteran's hospital. If the person is willing to let you work together on a letter, I think it could be decent. Practica/Internships do take place in veteran's hospitals, ya know! ;)

I think you should think harder on how to spin your experience with the veteran's hospital. If the person is willing to let you work together on a letter, I think it could be decent. Practica/Initternships do take place in veteran's hospitals, ya know! ;)

yeah totally. I mean it's not research oriented, which is what my intended grad program is geared toward, but it shows that I made a long term commitment and stuck with it, and as long as the other two letters speak to my academic capabilities I think it could be okay. thanks again for your help!