Stanford Modern Thought and Lit Applicants

Hey Everyone,

I'm applying to MTL at Stanford for the Fall of 2011. I was wondering if anyone else has reached out to faculty in the department. I ask because I have emailed a few faculty and have received responses from all that appear to be quite favorable. It just seems strange to me because at other institutions it has been extremely difficult to get responses from people. My question is, has anyone else had a similar experience w/ MTL? I'm starting to think it may be a department rule to respond to applicants. But of course I could also be very silly and should just take the kindness for what it is.

Thanks

I met with two professors who work in the MTL program this past summer and they were exceedingly helpful in offering suggestions for my application and quelling some of my fears about the process. On the whole though, I've decided against email contact with all but a few professors at certain schools (and always only if I have an "in" through another professor, colleague, or mutual acquaintance).

That being said, I have had contact with the two aforementioned professors in the past few months for other reasons not related to my PhD application, but they've expressed a willingness to talk with me about research interests and questions/concerns whenever. In short, I agree with your evaluation, the MTL professors seem especially engaged with and excited by students who are applying.

In other news: let me know where else you're applying, I am nearly done with my SoP and would like to find other applicants to start a back-and-forth critique with if, of course, that's something you'd be interested in. PM me. And either way, best of luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I'm applying to MTL too! Submitting my app today. I have not contacted any of the faculty, but would be willing to talk with you about the program and others!

Hey Everyone,

I'm applying to MTL at Stanford for the Fall of 2011. I was wondering if anyone else has reached out to faculty in the department. I ask because I have emailed a few faculty and have received responses from all that appear to be quite favorable. It just seems strange to me because at other institutions it has been extremely difficult to get responses from people. My question is, has anyone else had a similar experience w/ MTL? I'm starting to think it may be a department rule to respond to applicants. But of course I could also be very silly and should just take the kindness for what it is.

Thanks

Hi! I'm applying to MTL too! Submitting my app today. I have not contacted any of the faculty, but would be willing to talk with you about the program and others!

Congrats on submitting your application today! I really wish I were at that stage but I am still tweaking my SOP and writing sample. I'm in the same boat as "outofredink" I'm so afraid something will not be right :-(

I just realized I have been assuming the MLT application accepts letters of recommendation from a letter service. Is this the case? I know the Stanford English Dept. requires either the professor to submit online or a coversheet, but the MLT website doesn't seem to specify.

I just realized I have been assuming the MLT application accepts letters of recommendation from a letter service. Is this the case? I know the Stanford English Dept. requires either the professor to submit online or a coversheet, but the MLT website doesn't seem to specify.

I'm not sure. Have you tried emailing or calling Monica Moore? She's really prompt and helpful

failure. i'm mad at myself, but i'm not going to make the deadline. i could, but i'm still not happy with my writing sample and the materials i need to get it where it needs to be are at the office. i wasn't much sold on the idea of california or the $125 fee anyway, but i'm sad to have to cut it off my list at the last minute like this. i guess that's how the cookie crumbles, but good luck to all of you who are applying, it's a great program -- i'll be excited to hear how the process ends up for each of you.

failure. i'm mad at myself, but i'm not going to make the deadline. i could, but i'm still not happy with my writing sample and the materials i need to get it where it needs to be are at the office. i wasn't much sold on the idea of california or the $125 fee anyway, but i'm sad to have to cut it off my list at the last minute like this. i guess that's how the cookie crumbles, but good luck to all of you who are applying, it's a great program -- i'll be excited to hear how the process ends up for each of you.

The first application is always the hardest to pump out. I'm afraid my writing sample was not as polished as it could have been because I made edits down to the last minute before submitting. Good luck with your other applications!

i agree about the first one being the hardest. i'm it's easier said than done, but i dont think we should beat ourselves over the head for it. if it makes anyone feel better, ive decided to think of my app for the mtl program as a donation to the dept. and forget about my chances of getting in, lol.

i agree about the first one being the hardest. i'm it's easier said than done, but i dont think we should beat ourselves over the head for it. if it makes anyone feel better, ive decided to think of my app for the mtl program as a donation to the dept. and forget about my chances of getting in, lol.

i'll take consolation in that. luckily i decided to withhold a donation from stanford this year and instead offer mine to columbia. now i have a few days to separate myself from my writing sample and come back to it with fresh eyes before duke's deadline.

On 12/1/2010 at 8:29 PM, kid_grape said:

I feel that way about the Stegner Fellowship at Stanford, to which I am applying right now (though ApplyYourself is acting funny and they've extended the deadline until midnight tomorrow). Anyway, just saying I know that feeling ("hope you enjoy my money, Stanford!"). There's no way I'm getting a fellowship but I have to try (belieeeeeeve in myself) or I'll feel underproductive.

I just received an email reply from a MTL Committee in Charge faculty member. She apologized for the delayed response and gave me a lot of helpful info about Stanford resources for my project. This is the fourth response I have received from Stanford faculty members. Definitely a record. Even if I do not get into this program. I can say I've had a positive experience with this department. Best of luck to everyone.

• 2 months later...

Any new from Stanford MTL? It's been over two months since the deadline, so I'm assuming I've been rejected. I'd email Frau Heise to see what's up, but I'm too scared...

MTLs decisions usually are sent out the second or third week of February so we should be hearing really soon!

When I called late last week Monica Moore said notifications would all be out "before the end of February."

Just emailed today -- received same response.

"We will be letting applicants know before the end of February.

The exact date is not yet set.

Monica"

Running out of fingernails.