Is 1200 words too long

It might be. It really depends on the program - some recommend less than that while I've seen others that had 1200-1500 limits, and if the program recommends a limit, I wouldn't go too further above it. Remember ,you will have to try to gain and keep the adcomms attention while they review your SoP so you don't want it to be so long that you lose them. That said, if your SoP doesn't have any unnecessary information (or fluff) and it reads interestingly from start to finish, then you could use it, as long as a program doesn't have a hard limit that is less than that.

When I applied for master's degree number one, there was no limit stated, so I set my own limit of 1000 words.

When I applied for master's degree number two (same university, 25 years later) there was a 1200 word limit. (But my writing sample was a 4000 word pseudo-termpaper.)

I am now writing a PhD SOP, and having difficulty staying under 1200 words, but as newms says, if they state a hard limit, you're well advised to stay within that limit (including footnotes, headings, and title page in the word count, to be absolutely safe).

Also bear in mind that sometimes limits are set by the grad school and not by the particular department. There have been cases where the grad school application said something like 500 words, but when the department is contacted, they say they do not have a limit. So if there are schools in particular that you are concerned about, it may be worthwhile to ask the department.

Also bear in mind that sometimes limits are set by the grad school and not by the particular department. There have been cases where the grad school application said something like 500 words, but when the department is contacted, they say they do not have a limit. So if there are schools in particular that you are concerned about, it may be worthwhile to ask the department.

That raises the horror scenario:

Graduate School's absolute limit: 1000 words

Individual department: no limit

And your application (with 1100 word SOP) gets axed before the department ever sees it. I don't think this may happen very often, but it underscores your point, namely ask the department for details!