Will my writing sample be the reason for rejection?

wendychina

My friends, this is really a critical moment for me. A friend told me that a low quality paper may result in rejection rather than getting added points in the evaluation process.

I have rushed a whole month to write up a paper in hopes that I could submit as a writing sample. Yet, one month work cannot produce a really theoretical paper. Actually what I write is an empirical research paper with implications for practitioners. The purpose is not to have some theoretical breakthrough, but to apply other theories to industrial practices.

My instructor read my paper and said it was not a good paper from theoretical perspective, because there was no clue of theoretical breakthrough at all.

What can I do? Should I submit as a writing sample? or Should I just leave this part blank without submitting anything?

Edited by wendychina

My friends, this is really a critical moment for me. A friend told me that a low quality paper may result in rejection rather than getting added points in the evaluation process.

I have rushed a whole month to write up a paper in hopes that I could submit as a writing sample. Yet, one month work cannot produce a really theoretical paper. Actually what I write is an empirical research paper with implications for practitioners. The purpose is not to have some theoretical breakthrough, but to apply other theories to industrial practices.

My instructor read my paper and said it was not a good paper from theoretical perspective, because there was no clue of theoretical breakthrough at all.

What can I do? Should I submit as a writing sample? or Should I just leave this part blank without submitting anything?

Well, if the admission requires writing sample, you should submit it anyways because if you don't, then you have failed to give them what they need in order to evaluate you. If they don't require writing sample, then don't send it. If I were in your situation, I'm assuming your deadline is approaching and you have limited time. So if I were you, I would ask that instructor or get some tutors to help you edit the paper that you have now so it has some theoretical perspective. I would get as much as editing possible, and send it.

Thank you for the suggestion, which I think is very good. I'll take it. As for editting by my tutors, I am afraid it is not possible. They are all very busy, and won't be able to spend time on my sample writing. I'll do some revision after I take the exames by late Nov. I'll be having about a week. Hope it still helps with my application.

Well, if the admission requires writing sample, you should submit it anyways because if you don't, then you have failed to give them what they need in order to evaluate you. If they don't require writing sample, then don't send it. If I were in your situation, I'm assuming your deadline is approaching and you have limited time. So if I were you, I would ask that instructor or get some tutors to help you edit the paper that you have now so it has some theoretical perspective. I would get as much as editing possible, and send it.