My chance for PhD in History?

a piece of bread

Hi all,

I am finally on the way to PhD after a tiring MA in History. I don't think I have a big chance to get in due to the financial economics crisis. Needless to say, most American schools including even Harvard lost huge amounts of money in stock markets but still I want to bend over backwards to open the doors of an American PhD (Canadian, perhaps).

Well, the fact that I put a disappointing performance as an undergraduate in Economics (2.96) is why I said there is a little chance. I am not sure, maybe I am exaggerating the role of GPA. It was what I did in Economics. After having admitted to one of the best three schools in Turkey for History MA, I did pretty well (4.0). My program was a 3-year one in which we have been given eight fourth year undergrad courses in the first year of it. These courses consisted of American and European histories as well. The second and third years were as they were in a regular MA. The biggest advantage of mine, to me, is the language training that I have spent much time. As a prospective PhD student focused on the Middle East history (Ottoman), I am native in Turkish, near fluent in English, advanced in German and Persian, beginner in Arabic and have an excellent reading ability of Ottoman Turkish. I have a 106 on TOEFL which outweighs all schools' requirement for this exam with the exception of several schools. I took the GRE and got a 570V/800Q that seemed to me not so bad for an international student. Now I am concentrating on my SOP and writing sample waiting for reduction. I believe the thesis I am currently working on is of good quality.

Apart from what I mentioned above, I have presented a paper at a graduate student conference and one of my papers have been published in a middle-class history journal. I am regularly writing to three professors from Harvard, Texas at Austin and UPenn and specially two of them make me feel that they admire my work. The problem is that I did not mention to them of my undergrad GPA :rolleyes:

I beware that some programs have cut-off GPA's and have a tendency to accept students holding a BA in History. However, in general, how do you see my chance to get in such programs as Harvard, Princeton, Austin, UPenn, Ohio State, Arizona, UCSB, McGill, Queens etc?

Thanks

Your GPA was in economics. You got your MA in history with a perfect GPA and you took undergraduate courses in your first year to get acquainted with it. You've shown commitment. So I wouldn't fret too much. Especially with coveted languages.

Since you have a masters your undergrad GPA won't matter much. I think you are in great standing. The language barrier explains why you are on the lower end of the High GRE verbal range (mind that you are way above average compared to native speakers on the verbal section). Your language proficiency sounds amazing. You seem like you could be a top candidate. Although never forget the range of administrative/ departmental factors that go into acceptance that have no relevance to your application, so apply to a good couple schools.

Thanks for the answers. I have one more question that is currently making me puzzled. This year I am taking a course named "Readings in German" but want to withdraw it since it takes all my time. This course will be seen in my transcript as "W" written with "red color" but not affect my GPA if I do so. Do you think it hurts much?

Edited by a piece of bread

Thanks for the answers. I have one more question that is currently making me puzzled. This year I am taking a course named "Readings in German" but want to withdraw it since it takes all my time. This course will be seen in my transcript as "W" written with "red color" but not affect my GPA if I do so. Do you think it hurts much?

Not ideal, but I wouldn't guess it's damning by any means.