Profile Evaluation for Biomedical Engineering PhD

lucien2111

Hey everyone, just wanted to see what people thought about my profile. I'm applying for Fall 2011 Biomedical Engineering PhD programs. Im currently a senior and have a 3.51 cumulative gpa in bioengineering at a top undergraduate engineering university. I just took the GRE this morning and got a 770 Quant and 470 Verbal. I've done research since the beginning of freshman year and have one publication along with 2 more possibly submitted before my applications go out along with numerous extracurriculars and three solid recommendations from professors.

I want to apply to:

University of Washington-Seattle

UC-Berkeley

Washington University in St. Louis

UIUC

Northwestern

UPenn

Any input on my chances at these schools? Should i retake the GRE to improve my verbal score?

On 10/30/2010 at 5:49 PM, lucien2111 said:

Hey everyone, just wanted to see what people thought about my profile. I'm applying for Fall 2011 Biomedical Engineering PhD programs. Im currently a senior and have a 3.51 cumulative gpa in bioengineering at a top undergraduate engineering university. I just took the GRE this morning and got a 770 Quant and 470 Verbal. I've done research since the beginning of freshman year and have one publication along with 2 more possibly submitted before my applications go out along with numerous extracurriculars and three solid recommendations from professors.

I want to apply to:

University of Washington-Seattle

UC-Berkeley

Washington University in St. Louis

UIUC

Northwestern

UPenn

Any input on my chances at these schools? Should i retake the GRE to improve my verbal score?

It depends if you are an international applicant or not. What was your undergrad institution?

That GPA doesn't seem that high for Berkeley.. But anyway a reach in the pot is welcome!

GRE scores below 500 can be detrimental to your application. However, my friend got into UIUC with about the same GRE scores. It'll depend on the school. (Based on last year's admissions, I agree that your GPA and GRE scores are low for Berkeley)

Otherwise, I think you're a strong candidate given your research experience. Your GPA may not be as high as other applicants, but your publication will give you an advantage.

Also, for bioengineering departments, they try to admit students with different research interests (that is, they won't admit 20 tissue engineering students even if they are the strongest 20 applicants). So you're competing directly against those with the same general research interests as you. It makes it harder to predict one's chances.