Need advice, course deficiencies

meepboop

Hello,

I am applying to biology programs this year, specifically to labs with a focus in plant biology. I have multiple research experiences in this field (no publications), and I have completed general course requirements in biology (ie, general biology, ecology, genetics, cell, etc.). However, my main concern is that I have not taken any courses in plant biology due to limited offerings at my home institution. The schools I am applying to do not explicitly ask for plant bio classes, but I spoke to a potential advisor who said it was a weakness. My knowledge in the field stems mainly from general biology courses, research experiences, and independent readings. Should I apply to PhD programs this year, or should I take classes at another institution before applying? Transferring is not an option because I will be graduating this spring.

Thanks,

meep.

Edited by meepboop

I think you should continue with your applications. To me it seems pretty common for many schools to NOT offer more specialized plant courses, and I bet there is a first year grad class in any program you would go to anyway. Just try to make it clear in your SOP that you do have knowledge and there were no course offerings.

NIce, another plant bio person!

I've been looking at programs as well, and most recommend a general intro series in biol (general, eco/evo, cell, etc), physics, gen and ochem. So they don't explicitly name plant biol courses as a prereq, but having them would help you with your research. I guess to what extent would depend on the subfield you plan on going in to.

Taxonomy/systematics and physiology would require a lot of prior plant background as botanical terminology is pretty unique and specific.

Cell/molecular biol and maybe ecology wouldn't need all that much prior botanical background I would think. If you have a firm grasp of molecular biology you could, with some reading, understand specific plant cell concepts. A lot of profs I've seen in ecology or molecular biology have general degrees. One of my advisors is a well known plant molecular biologist, she did not become interested in plants until her senior year in college. By the time she applied to grad schools she did not have any specific botany classes under her belt.

Maybe you could show adcoms your background by discussing your independent work and how it contributed to your interest in botany in your writing?

Edited by rpm225