Is it even worth applying?

Applicant13

Hi all,

I am an international student planning on applying for PhDs in Political Theory/IR (my interests are at the intersection of both fields). I have taken the GRE twice and my scores were 780Q/540V/5AW the first time and 800Q/550V/still waiting for AW. I wanted to apply to some top schools (i.e. Harvard and Columbia), because there is almost no one working in my field and the couple professors i could work with are at those universities. However, given the low verbal score, I think it is very unlikely that i get in. So is it even worth applying with those GRE scores?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi all,

I am an international student planning on applying for PhDs in Political Theory/IR (my interests are at the intersection of both fields). I have taken the GRE twice and my scores were 780Q/540V/5AW the first time and 800Q/550V/still waiting for AW. I wanted to apply to some top schools (i.e. Harvard and Columbia), because there is almost no one working in my field and the couple professors i could work with are at those universities. However, given the low verbal score, I think it is very unlikely that i get in. So is it even worth applying with those GRE scores?

You need to provide more information if you want anything worthwhile. Is English your first language (important)? How did you do in undergrad? Where did you do undergrad (LSE is different than University of Dar es Salaam - no knock against UDSM intended)?

Performance on the GRE does not entitle one to a rejection or acceptance. Additionally, there is not a hard and fast line to which everyone is held. An acceptable GRE score for a Harvard grad with a letter of recommendation from Gary King is likely lower than that for a student from Northwestern South Dakota College.

Edited by Tufnel

ok, more info:

English is not my first language, I did my undergrad in Political Science in the best uni of my country for that topic, but that is not saying much. Although I am European they may or may not have heard of it. I graduated the first one in my year, and my GPA should roughly translate as 3.95 more or less. I have a masters at Oxbridge with distinction in my thesis and overall distinction (because of average of coursework and thesis, I barely missed distinction in coursework), and I am now on a Fulbright scholarship in a US school.

No relevant work experience besides a couple internships. Have no publications, one conference paper in the topic I want to work on, speak 4 languages fluently (including English), basics of German and Mandarin and reading knowledge of Latin and Ancient Greek. Worked as RA for a year during my undergrad, but that is as much non-independent research experience as I have.

Is this enough info?

My toefl score was 114 two years ago. Just took it again, so it should be around that, maybe a bit higher.

Thanks a lot!!

You sound extremely qualified, but the GRE verbal score is too low...Your application profile probably won't even reach the admissions committees since most schools (Columbia is an exception though if I remembered right) have a cut off point for GRE scores. Is it possible for you to take the GRE again? (I know there's only very little time left...) PM me if you want some tips on how to prepare for the verbal. I am also an international student.

Best of luck!

ok, more info:

English is not my first language, I did my undergrad in Political Science in the best uni of my country for that topic, but that is not saying much. Although I am European they may or may not have heard of it. I graduated the first one in my year, and my GPA should roughly translate as 3.95 more or less. I have a masters at Oxbridge with distinction in my thesis and overall distinction (because of average of coursework and thesis, I barely missed distinction in coursework), and I am now on a Fulbright scholarship in a US school.

No relevant work experience besides a couple internships. Have no publications, one conference paper in the topic I want to work on, speak 4 languages fluently (including English), basics of German and Mandarin and reading knowledge of Latin and Ancient Greek. Worked as RA for a year during my undergrad, but that is as much non-independent research experience as I have.

Is this enough info?

My toefl score was 114 two years ago. Just took it again, so it should be around that, maybe a bit higher.

Thanks a lot!!

Hi all,

Agree with those above who point to the verbal giving you the biggest problems. Note that you may not need to work with a professor doing exactly what you'd like to do-- see if you can identify more schools than Harvard, Columbia, etc. that may have people close enough to advise.

I also think IR/theory is going to get very, very popular with the coming generation of grad students. If I may ask, what interests you within the subfield(s)?

I think 550v and 800q is not that bad. 550v is what, about 75%? I remember reading that the average of Harvard PhD admitted students (in all fields) was 570v and 770q. It means that for every accepted applicant with a 600v there is someone with a 540v. It might be that PoliSci is more competitive than the average program, but I am sure that all top 10 programs have admitted people with 550 in the verbal section of the GRE. Of course it would be better if you had an 800 in the verbal section, but it would also be better for a bunch of people to have a master with honors at Oxbridge or even 800 in the quant section. Nobody has a perfect application! I think you should apply to those schools and, if you are sure you want to start a PhD next year, I'd also recommend applying to other places. I also think that speaking other languages can be an asset if you play it right. In IR it is not that important, but in comparative politics and continental theory it is.

Just keep in mind that you have an excellent background and although some Universities might not pay enough attention to your application because your GRE scores I'm sure that others won't make the same mistake.

Good luck

The other parts of your application sound great so do not panic. But you have to be careful with the verbal GRE. There is no international or domestic cut off point, you are competing with the native speakers. (if you make it to the final cut this may change). Maybe some people have 550 GREs at Harvard Poli Sci but you should be careful with the all institutional average: professional schools and hard sciences students are in that mix. I would considering retaking the test, even if I could not do it by the deadline (you have at least one score) and send the new results too if I managed to improve the score. (well, I guess you might not get lower ones...) Of course if you can spare the time and the money.