To retake or not to retake...?

Ph.D. Hopeful

I just took the GRE and received a 470 V (ugh!) and a 760 Q for a total of 1230. I have not received my analytical writing scores back yet, but I feel I did awesome on those. I am applying to Ph.D. programs in Biomedical Sciences/Neurosciences, and my schools so far include: Stanford, WashU, Duke, UNC, Ohio State, University of Michigan, Vanderbilt, University of Utah, University of Tennessee, Colorado State, etc...

Many of the deadlines are December 1st. The dilemma I face is whether to retake the GRE in two weeks (not much more additional studying) to try to raise my scores for my "reach" schools, forget about applying to my "reach" schools, or realize that my scores aren't that bad (which I highly doubt this option is correct).

My other statistics include:

Biochemistry major/English minor

4.0 GPA

Some research (not much pertaining to the Ph.D. programs)

Expecting great recommendations from advisor and two course instructors/lab advisors

"Unique" story as to why I want to get into neuroscience research, especially multiple sclerosis (diagnosed two years ago)

Just wanted to get some opinions on my situation! Thanks :)

Take it again! Study some more vocab and being less nervous taking it a second time should definitely improve your score! A 1230 isn't too bad, but that percentile could be a red flag to a lot of schools and could potentially keep your app from even being looked at! If you can get it up even 50 points it would be much better, especially seeing as you don't have much research experience which is key!

Thanks! One of my professors advised that as well. I am scheduled to take it in two weeks on November 15th. Hopefully I will increase verbal and maintain the quantitative score!

Take it again! Study some more vocab and being less nervous taking it a second time should definitely improve your score! A 1230 isn't too bad, but that percentile could be a red flag to a lot of schools and could potentially keep your app from even being looked at! If you can get it up even 50 points it would be much better, especially seeing as you don't have much research experience which is key!

I'm sure it will be better! One of my friends retook hers for her quant and writing scores and improved her verbal 50 pts just from being less nervous! If I can give any advice just don't kill yourself the day before, it just makes it worse!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I think giving GRE again would be the best option, the Verbal scores presents your knowledge of comprehension, reasoning, words, and lots of other areas.

If you can get a Verbal score of over 550 then you can boost your chances of admit and aid, if you are working and cannot devotee time then go for some free online virtual classes on GRE which you can attend on Sundays and Saturdays. Many of such sites exists like: Wiziq, examville, blueteach, classroom20, etc but there is one which is targeting GRE mid 2011 http://onlineclasses.nanotechbiz.org/.

Improving your score will give you en edge for the admission as well as getting RA, nonetheless you will get idea about english which will also help you in your future exam prep.

Best wishes,