Go for Master or PhD?

lkw0922

Hi, I'm an international student to want to pursue PhD degree in the states.

I'm interested in bioengineering and I'm about to apply many great schools such as MIT, Harvard, Duke, Johns Hopkins, University of Washington, UCB+UCSF, Stanford, GT...

Because I don't have master's degree, I'm actually not competitive enough to get admission from those top schools. (even though I have research experience and good GPA)

Therefore, I am also considering applying master's degree of those university.

So, I am trying to find out which universities are highly competitive. If harvard is too competitive, it maybe better to apply master instead of PhD.

Do you guys have any information or know any website containing information?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm an international student to want to pursue PhD degree in the states.

I'm interested in bioengineering and I'm about to apply many great schools such as MIT, Harvard, Duke, Johns Hopkins, University of Washington, UCB+UCSF, Stanford, GT...

Because I don't have master's degree, I'm actually not competitive enough to get admission from those top schools. (even though I have research experience and good GPA)

Therefore, I am also considering applying master's degree of those university.

So, I am trying to find out which universities are highly competitive. If harvard is too competitive, it maybe better to apply master instead of PhD.

Do you guys have any information or know any website containing information?

Thanks!

Have you already communicated with BioEng PhD graduate program directors at various universities, to see whether your profile is truly "not competitive" as you said? You may be surprised that you are actually better than you think you are. Unless if most of them tell you 'no, we will not consider you because your application is too weak', I think you have a better chance than you think. Here in Alabama, plenty of people from China and India get admitted to biomedical research PhD programs without an post-baccalaureate degree.

In your application letter and CV, make sure you emphasize what skill sets you have and try to show proof of your skilled work. Many PhD students and post-docs get hired because they have skills that a lab does not have, and the professor wants that expertise. Even if your skill is common (western blots, DNA/RNA isolation, etc), a skilled pair of hands is quite useful and you're cheaper to hire as a PhD student (25k/yr) than a full-time research technician (35+k/yr).

My recommendation is to look at the list of faculty members within each department or program, read their papers, and see what you're interested in studying. A school's name or reputation matters more for undergrad, MBA, law, or medical schools, than it does for PhD programs. Your PhD advisor/mentor's prestige and fame will matter more than the school itself.

Besides, do you really want to spend 2-4 more years of your life than you need to? Unless if the university allows you to continue to PhD program after you complete your Masters, I see no reason to do so unless if your GPA is poor, which you said yours weren't. I asked this very same question 6 years ago when I graduated with Bachelor's degree and was told by a professor 'No, don't waste your time. You aren't getting any younger, and time is the most valuable asset you have.' She was right and luckily I got into a PhD program despite subpar GPA.

I appreciate your kind reply.

I understand your point. I will go for PhD option.

Owing to your reply, I add my skills to show how I am equipped with professonal research experiences.

Thanks again!

As bhmlurker said, you should get in contact with faculty, admissions officers or staff at the schools to which you're applying. If you give them a brief idea of what your profile looks like and a few specific research topics faculty at those schools are pursuing that you are interested in, they may be able to give you a good idea of where you stand in relation to other applicants.