Paid MA in Columbia vs. Rank 30 fully funded PhD

Alex_123

I have received an offer for a Master's degree in sociology from Columbia University, but I have also received an offer for a PhD program ranked around 30th.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I am currently unsure about the amount of funding that Columbia provides for its MA students and I am considering reaching out to the graduate department to inquire.

MAs are rarely funded, and if they are, it's often not enough to cover tuition and fees and living expenses. You'd likely have to take out loans or work, both of which are not great options for grad school.

Getting accepted to a fully funded program, especially a top 30 one, is quite the achievement. Depending on whether you'd like to go into academia or industry, you'll be well set up. If you are intent on being in a higher ranked program, you can go to the PhD program, get some research done, network, and then re-apply and master out. That's what I ended up doing. I got into a top-50ish program, got on some papers, got close with my mentors, and then re-applied this cycle and got a fully funded offer at a top 20 program and waitlisted at a top 10. 

It really all depends on what your long-term goals are. If you have more questions, feel free to DM me.

i completely agree with the above. if your phd program is funded and there are faculty there who are interested in what you want to research (since i'm sure you applied for that reason), i would most definitely take that opportunity. if you decide to leave with the master's and not pursue the phd, you won't have incurred any debt like you would at columbia.