Stanford E IPER and Columbia PhD in Sustainable Development

chocolate_blanche

I assume that the above programs are well known so I will go straight to the point about my profile.

Fall 2011 PhD Candidate, international student

My interest is interdisciplinary, for which a few key words related to my skills are: renewable energy, remote sensing, GIS, urbanization, hydrology/ ecology

BSc: Mathematics (top Canadian undergrad institution, unknown abroad)

Undergrad GPA: 3.5/ 4.0

MSc: Mechanical Engineering (good Canadian school, but fairly unknown in the States)

MSc percentage: 84% but with a 65% in one course that is not in my line of research. I am taking extra courses this semester to boost it up.

GRE: 800Q. 670V/ 4.5 AW

Variety: scholarships and awards to various research trainings in Europe and the States. Internship at one utilities company.

Publications: a few (1 conference proceedings, 2 top journals - first author)

I have made contacts with faculty at both programs that have research interest closely matching mine and one faculty member (well known) agrees to discuss potential research topics with me and has been looking at my SOP. Also, I am thinking of Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies.

Here are my thoughts on my application defects for the two programs:

- From the student profiles, it seems that Stanford emphasizes professional experience (which I virtually have none) while Columbia emphasizes the economics component. For the former, I guess there is nothing I can do, but on the latter: I have taken quite a few Econ classes, including International trade and Game theory.

- The 65% is one blemish in my transcript.

- For Yale FAS, I have no background in biochemistry but that is not the research topic of the prof I contacted either.

I would be extremely grateful if any kind insightful soul out there can help me evaluate my chances and advise on how to improve it. I can take criticism too. Thanks a million.

Edited by chocolate_blanche

• 2 years later...