Recommendation letter from boss OK?

speed

Hi,

I just wanted to know that I graduated in 2008. Since then I have been working full time in control engineering. Now I am applying to two different graduate schools. In one I am applying for Solid State Electronics, the other control engineering. Now I have to have three letters from recommendation.

i think a recommendation letter from my boss would be good for the control engineering program, right? but what about the Solid State Electronics since the job I am doing is not much related to Solid State Electronics so should I include a letter from my boss in this one too or not?

or should i get recommendations from professors only and employers recommendations do not count at all?

Please advise!

Hi speed,

If its a research based degree you are applying for then the admissions committees will want a recommendation letters from people that can speak to your potential to do research. If your boss has supervised you on a research project then it should be ok, but otherwise go with professors that can speak to your research abilities and potential.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

..or should i get recommendations from professors only and employers recommendations do not count at all?

Please advise!

as long as your employer can talk about your enthusiasm, preparation and vision regarding your choice of grad school/program, his recommendation will work. him writing a strong letter also shows your work ethics and your behavior around people. i'd however get other two from people in academia.