Order of Application Materials Submission

egg-bean-crumpet

History PhD applicant here, though I believe the answer to this question would be the same for multiple fields:

Is it necessary to submit the electronic application, which includes a Personal Statement, Writing Sample, etc, before sending official transcripts and GRE scores? One school, JHU, asks that the electronic application be sent before transcripts and LORs and such arrive, but I'm wondering if this is true across the board. I want to send transcripts in sooner than later, but worry that my written materials won't be ready for a couple of weeks yet.

School dependent.

I took my GRE when I'd finished one application, and sent it to the other schools before my application was finalized.

LoRs, I'd imagine, are slightly different- and you'd want something on file with the school so they can stack stuff up for you.

If you're not sure, contact whoever is in charge of the admissions process and ask.

School dependent.

I took my GRE when I'd finished one application, and sent it to the other schools before my application was finalized.

LoRs, I'd imagine, are slightly different- and you'd want something on file with the school so they can stack stuff up for you.

If you're not sure, contact whoever is in charge of the admissions process and ask.

Thanks, I suspected as much but am grateful to read about someone else's experience.

It is NOT necessary to submit the application first.

The first time a program gets an admissions-related document with your name on it, they will open a file for you. Even if it's random unannounced GRE scores. I had no trouble with this when I applied.

However, if you want to ease your mind, you could first *start* an online application at each school. That seems 'safer' to me (emotionally). And also, you access the LOR forms to give your profs *through* the online app. So, the school is already very sure you exist and are applying by the time the LORs arrive!

I sent my GRE and TOEFL scores to all the schools I applied to before even starting the application (June of the year I applied). My transcripts and assorted other material I submitted around the same time I submitted the electronic applications (December of the year I applied), but I don't think it was necessary to wait; I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget to send anything. LORs usually arrived after everything else had already been received and logged, but that's only because my recommenders waited until THE VERY LAST MINUTE to submit their letters. In all cases, I had no problems and nothing was lost. Unless a school says otherwise you should be able to submit material any time you like -- as others have said, they will open a file for you when the first item arrives and (hopefully) add things to that file as you send more items (and therefore in order to minimize the risk of misfiled documents, it's a good idea to send everything together in one envelope). If you're worried, you can contact your schools directly and ask.