Harvard PSP vs. HDP

JerusalemTeacher

I completed a master's in secondary education almost ten years ago, and am a full-time teacher. I am now interested in advancing my education in counseling and education.

Does anyone know the real differences between the Harvard PSP (formerly Risk and Prevention) counseling degree and the Harvard Human Development and Psychology degree?

The requirements of the HDP degree seem much simpler, as they do not include the practicum requirement?

Any help with this will be very appreciated.

I completed a master's in secondary education almost ten years ago, and am a full-time teacher. I am now interested in advancing my education in counseling and education.

Does anyone know the real differences between the Harvard PSP (formerly Risk and Prevention) counseling degree and the Harvard Human Development and Psychology degree?

The requirements of the HDP degree seem much simpler, as they do not include the practicum requirement?

Any help with this will be very appreciated.

You hit the nail on the head. The PSP program is counseling and practice based, whereas the HDP program is more grounded in theory and research (though there are overlaps between the two).

Edited by tut

You hit the nail on the head. The PSP program is counseling and practice based, whereas the HDP program is more grounded in theory and research (though there are overlaps between the two).

It seems that you can take all of the PSP courses as part of the HDP degree. You can even take the individual counseling and the group counseling courses. You can basically get the PSP degree, just without the 16-hour practicum and practicum cohort meetings.

Is there something that I am missin?

It seems that you can take all of the PSP courses as part of the HDP degree. You can even take the individual counseling and the group counseling courses. You can basically get the PSP degree, just without the 16-hour practicum and practicum cohort meetings.

Is there something that I am missin?

Doesn't the PSP degree lead to a type of certification that the HDP does not?

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't the PSP degree lead to a type of certification that the HDP does not?

Yes, if you wanted licensure in the state of Massachusetts as a guidance or adjustment counselor you would want to chose PSP.