Score reporting loophole?

JoeySsance

When reporting GRE scores, isn't there the option of sending a report to one's undergraduate department (in addition to the four recipients included in the test fee)? I'm applying to six programs, one of which doesn't require GRE scores. As it turns out, one of the remaining five departments is where I did my undergraduate work. Could I get away with choosing to send my scores to my undergraduate department and the four other schools, thereby sending my scores to all five schools that require them and getting one freebie in the process? I imagine this is a pretty rare situation since I doubt many people apply for a Ph.D in their undergrad department (but it does happen).

I second that - ETS have taken far too much money off me already!

Check which department will receive your scores in your undergrad institution though. It could be the case that they are sent somewhere slightly different from the standard scores - best to ask the admissions office and double check

I second that - ETS have taken far too much money off me already!

Check which department will receive your scores in your undergrad institution though. It could be the case that they are sent somewhere slightly different from the standard scores - best to ask the admissions office and double check

Yeah it's a nice idea but I would definitely check first. I can't imagine ETS missing a way for potential profit. They are probably "unofficial for graduate school scores" or something lame.

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into it. I can't imagine that my department would give me a hard time if ETS tried to pull a crazy stunt like that, haha. I'm sure they'd be content to have my scores as long as they're coming directly from ETS. When I find out, I'll post again so anyone else who finds themselves in this admittedly uncommon situation will at least have some form of precedent to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone! For the record, it's completely legit to send your report to your undergrad institution if it happens to also be one of your grad school choices. I got confirmation from both sides (ETS and Princeton, i.e. where I went for undergrad). In fact, whether the recipients are designated as "graduate" or "undergraduate" is completely immaterial because, a: they are the exact same reports (i.e. they're not marked any differently), and b: ETS doesn't even verify where you went for undergrad. I found this out from an ETS representative over the phone who said ETS gets TONS of calls from test takers who accidentally listed one of their grad school options before the exam thinking it was the reporting portion and not realizing it was just for selecting one's undergrad institution. She said it was amusing at first but that it quickly got old and frankly they really don't pay attention to this part; they just send the four to five score reports! This turns out to be a bigger loophole than I thought, then, because this means you can designate any school as your undergrad recipient thereby genuinely getting a freebie in the process with complete impunity (and subversively defying ETS's $23 charge for at least one additional report)... Obviously this only works for 5 schools. In any case, I feel no compunction about this because in my case, Princeton is both my alma mater and one of my grad school options. But do keep this in mind, all the rest of you who'd like to save at least $23!! I thought someone might appreciate this advice. Oh, and my GRE went well!! It feels good to be done. :) Good luck to everyone else!

Edited by JoeySsance

the undergrad thing sound great.

another nice loophole is that you contact the graduate office in the program you are applying, and tell the gradsec that you reported the score couple of weeks ago, and ask if it has arrived yet (of course it won't have arrived ;)). then ask the gradsec if you can send a scanned/fax copy of the score for review, till they get the official one. the answer usually is yes. be proud - you just made the damn ETS lose 23$!!

on the downside, you just lied and are going to hell :D

another nice loophole is that you contact the graduate office in the program you are applying, and tell the gradsec that you reported the score couple of weeks ago, and ask if it has arrived yet (of course it won't have arrived ;)). then ask the gradsec if you can send a scanned/fax copy of the score for review, till they get the official one. the answer usually is yes. be proud - you just made the damn ETS lose 23$!!

Haha. Nice strategy! And hey, if I have to go to hell, at least I'll have a high GRE score to my name to console me for all eternity, lol. ;)

I'm not getting away with this entirely though because I do have one fellowship program that requires my scores so I will have to pay for one additional report. But better one than two!

But won't they still want the official score eventually?

I don't really see it as a "loophole" per se... I see it more as a kind of "strategy"... It would seem to help in case one's official report were to arrive late for whatever reason. But yeah, I'm sure they would expect the official ($23) one at some point...

But won't they still want the official score eventually?

I don't really see it as a "loophole" per se... I see it more as a kind of "strategy"... It would seem to help in case one's official report were to arrive late for whatever reason. But yeah, I'm sure they would expect the official ($23) one at some point...

no, you can still get by. see, you tell them that the gre is on its way, and should be there soon. and add that this delay quite possibly might have happened due to miscommunication between the univ (main) grad admission office and the dept grad admission office. some dept are adamant about getting the original copy of the scores, but i've found that the schools on your 'backup' (read: low-ranked) list pretty much don't care. once your app is reviewed and by the time you get your admission offer, everyone will have forgotten about the real copy.